Beignets, Anybody?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
They're fresh; just finished making them. Mine are usually all different sizes because it all depends on how well I get them off the spoon. I will say.....these are pretty darned good! Rick has been scarfing them down as fast as they're sugared. (And I only got four very minor burns from the deep fryer, so that worked out OK.) We're taking some to Rick's mom and her roommate tonight. I'm only about six weeks behind schedule; Doughnut Day was back around the middle of February!)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes please!

Some years back, I was in New Orleans with a friend for a week. I'd get up each morning and go to Cafe du Monde alone to have chicory coffee and beignets (my friend, was a bit of a drinker and didn't awake until much later than me). Such a great way to begin a day. Yours looks delicious! I'd have a hard time resisting stopping at one or two.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They look good!

I wonder how different beignets are from pizza fritte? I miss my Grandpa making that! But I won't deep fry to make them myself so I better not think too hard on this. :p

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found another reason to go to NOLA! You always know when someone has eaten beignets because their front is covered with powdered sugar. It's sort of like a badge of honor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I was always, well, not really afraid of a deep fryer, but very, very wary. I don't like using it because there are too many things that can happen. After Rick's mom went into assisted living and now into a nursing home, it fell to me to make doughnuts and beignets. A few years ago, Rick's mom made sure I could make them and fry them. Rick used to stay in the kitchen with me while I was working on them. I don't like hanging around really hot oil.

This year? I just made them. Rick was busy working in the bathroom with moulding. He'd holler out, "You OK?" and I'd say, "Yep!" and that was that. I did them by myself. *patting myself on my back*

(But I still don't think I'd want to try them without Rick at least being in the house.)

Rick's mom gave me her (very) old Sunbeam electric saucepan. The thing is ancient, but still makes great doughnuts and beignets. It's like the one pictured here, but mine has a basket and I don't see one here: Vintage Sunbeam Controlled Heat Saucepan and Deep Fryer | eBay

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Those look amazing!! Can you send me some? I'll pay the postage. :clap::cheerleader::flail:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother has an electric skillet that's probably as old as I am. She sets up a card table in the garage and plugs that in out there to make Struffoli. It gives her some extra space but also keeps that oil smell out of the house. My grandpa always did his frying in the basement.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:thud: i've actually never tried a beignet, and really didn't know what exactly they were. :paperbag: oh my, but those beignets do look lovely......and i'm sure are totally heavenly tasting! :cloud9:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, I was just in New Orleans and had them at the Cafe DuMonde. So delicious with a cup of their coffee. I sat outside and shared mine with a bold little sparrow who was eating as fast as I could throw pieces down.

I have not tried making them at home because I really shouldn’t eat them but yours do look like they would be wonderful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, everybody! My sister and BIL came in for a while last night. I heated the beignets in the microwave for about ten seconds and served with coffee. They were both on :cloud9: and took the rest of them home (all but one, which Rick is taking to work for his morning snack). And that ends the beignets for a while.

It's still too chilly to be trying to fry doughnuts outside around here and we don't have a garage. Sometimes during the summer when I'm canning, I'll use the pressure canner outside on the grill. And Rick and I usually sit at the picnic table in the back yard to shuck our corn. It's nice to be able to do stuff outside.

I had to look up Struffoli. My, but that looks good! Little fried dough balls. Yum.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never tried one but they absolutely delicious and now I want one. :hyper:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're fresh; just finished making them. Mine are usually all different sizes because it all depends on how well I get them off the spoon. I will say.....these are pretty darned good! Rick has been scarfing them down as fast as they're sugared. (And I only got four very minor burns from the deep fryer, so that worked out OK.) We're taking some to Rick's mom and her roommate tonight. I'm only about six weeks behind schedule; Doughnut Day was back around the middle of February!)

They look delicious. I went to New Orleans with my sister back in the 70's and we got beignets back then and boy were good. I would lve to have one right now.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had to look up Struffoli. My, but that looks good! Little fried dough balls. Yum.
And covered in honey! With a sprinkling of nonpareils for decoration. Christmas at either of my grandmothers always meant a big platter of Struffoli piled high in a cone shape. Boy were they good! Now I feel guilty for not making them for my kids!