Behaviour Change

Nadiatg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,
Maui, use to like to be groomed but as of recently, he does not like to be groomed. He is three and i have had him for 2 months. He use to also sleep on my bed often but nowadays he likes to sleep in other places. I also have Cheetah she is one and half and she has also been with us for two months. she is always sleeping on my bed. Maui would come sleep on the bed even if she was there but now a days he has stopped sleeping on my bed.I cant understand the reason for this change in his behavior. i want him to sleep onmy bed again...any tips? Thank you

Maui

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nadiatg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Are these gorgeous felines neutered/spayed?
Yes they are spayed and neutered:)
it was love at first sight when i saw Maui, Cheetah is a little shy but she loves being picked up and petted. Maui is a little naughty and wants to play all the time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok so its not a feline hormone thing.
Well, other than tempting him on the bed with treats and then petting and brushing if he likes that, I think you may have to wait until he comes back around.
They have been with you long enough that he's feeling more like your house is his house, and so he is expanding into other areas. There's no knowing how many or few sleeping places he'll end up with and rotate through.

EDIT oops sorry you said he's not liking brushing..., can you try a different type of brush?

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe there is a change in smell. Have you changed soap, laundry detergent, shampoo etc.? Since this is all of a sudden, then there may be a smell he doesn't like.

Nadiatg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so its not a feline hormone thing.
Well, other than tempting him on the bed with treats and then petting and brushing if he likes that, I think you may have to wait until he comes back around.
They have been with you long enough that he's feeling more like your house is his house, and so he is expanding into other areas. There's no knowing how many or few sleeping places he'll end up with and rotate through.

EDIT oops sorry you said he's not liking brushing..., can you try a different type of brush?
I have been using the same brush, he only likes is when he is sleepy or after a nap. he eve use to knead my legs but he knead cushion.

Nadiatg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe there is a change in smell. Have you changed soap, laundry detergent, shampoo etc.? Since this is all of a sudden, then there may be a smell he doesn't like.
i did wash the comforter.......probably that is it ...thank you

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Both your kitties are beautiful. :catlove:

Has anything else changed with Maui's behaviour besides not wanting to be groomed, and no longer sleeping on your bed.

Both cats are pretty new to your home, so any routines they were in, were short ones, so not completely weird that they would want to do something different.

My Ruby goes through phases where she will sleep in one place for a while, then switch it up to another.

Do you live in a climate that has winter? Ruby will sleep on the bed, or under the covers, most of the winter, but once the warmer weather comes along, she'll be content to sleep elsewhere.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I was suggesting to use a different brush that maybe he will like better now, every cat is different and in his case maybe his skin is more sensitive now that he's getting better food/different water.

Nadiatg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: Both your kitties are beautiful. :catlove:

Has anything else changed with Maui's behaviour besides not wanting to be groomed, and no longer sleeping on your bed.

Both cats are pretty new to your home, so any routines they were in, were short ones, so not completely weird that they would want to do something different.

My Ruby goes through phases where she will sleep in one place for a while, then switch it up to another.

Do you live in a climate that has winter? Ruby will sleep on the bed, or under the covers, most of the winter, but once the warmer weather comes along, she'll be content to sleep elsewhere.
Yes, we live in Canada and i was very cold and has warmed up in the last few weeks.that explains a lot, thank you so much, i feel so much better.

Nadiatg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your tips.
He has started to sleep at y feet again:) Cheetah is also sleeping near my feet and i am so happy!!!!

Nadiatg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have one and they both love it, thank you:)