Behaviour after neutering

brina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I got my little boy neutered a couple weeks ago.  I was hoping he would calm down a bit, but it seems he went the other way.  He has become more crazier.  Is this normal?  When will he calm down a bit?

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understood from what I've read here, as well our vet having mentioned the same thing after Si's neuter 4wks ago. 

Si is 9mos old & more full of himself right now than he's been since we adopted
   I believe it has to do with the hormones that were already built up in him & that they dissipate over time.  Our vet indicated it could be anywhere from a couple of months to a year.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually after a month, they start calming down. Every cat is different, though.  You did him a favor, having him neutered.  Remember, he is still a teenager and think what you were like at that time of your life.  He is just feeling his oats, rejoicing in life and spring.

See if he doesn't start mellowing out in a couple of more weeks.

seann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitty has recently been neutered, it will probably take a while for him to get used to it and calm down.

thetigerden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree with the above posters. My girl took like another 3-4 months before she calmed down. It's the hormones I'm afraid. 

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes several weeks for hormone levels to drop - usually figure 10ish weekes or so but if it is a young cat or kitten, neutering will not stop all the kitten sillies as the climbing and running will continue as a normal part of growing up. What will stop is the rough play caused by hormone levells. .

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Young kitties are young kitties, and they will be crazy. It's just what young creatures do! Neutering will not reduce normal silliness. Only hormone-related issues.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kittens are just more active then others.  My last kitten I added is now 2 or so and still a nut.  Curtain rods, knocking things down...into it all. Best thing you can do is get a playmate if possible.  If not alot of laser pointer/wand toys.  Anything to get energy out as much as possible