Behavior Meds for Cats (ASPCA article on WebMD)

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's only been a few weeks since you started introducing a new cat into your house, you shouldn't be considering behavior medications yet. They will basically zone your cat out until all he has the energy to do is shuffle from one sleeping spot to another. Some cat intros take months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosewelsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

It's only been a few weeks since you started introducing a new cat into your house, you shouldn't be considering behavior medications yet. They will basically zone your cat out until all he has the energy to do is shuffle from one sleeping spot to another. Some cat intros take months.
Actually, I got the new kitty because I started realizing he was lonely. After the new kitty came I started looking more into separation anxiety in cats. He's got it bad and has for many years. I had no idea! I feel horrible. Nevertheless, the new kitty pounced on him and he's been terrified of her ever sense. I think this has to do with his anxiety problem. He's had it most of his life, ever sense some dogs terrified him. Before that he was a pretty mellow kitty, who would ride around in a chest pouch and go shopping with me. He's 8 now. It breaks my heart that I didn't recognize that he had separation anxiety and probably PTSD from the incident with the dogs.

Thank you, however, for remembering me and my kitty and taking the time to comment