Behavior change after being neutered?

melaniedoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I'm concerned about my 5 month old kitten. I had him neutered about a month ago and he hasn't been the same since.
Before he was neutered, he was such a little love bug. The poor little guy had been passed along between 2 families before I adopted him, so I am his 3rd owner. Both of his previous owners had children and other cats. The first night I took him home, he was a little shy which I had expected, but by the second day he was already cuddling and running around. He was very active and playful, but also loved to hang out with me on the couch either sleeping next to me or on top of me. He'd run up to me and headbutt me, purring loudly while he did it. He loved to be held and pet. He also started following me everywhere and "talking" to me. Basically, he was my little sweetheart and best buddy.
After getting him neutered, he seemed alright, just a little sluggish. Because he had come from families with other pets and he was now a lone cat, I felt like I should get him a friend, especially considering how playful he was and I couldn't stand to leave him bored while I was at work. A few days after his neutering, I brought home another kitten. He was a little upset at first, but an hour later they were rolling around and playing with each other. I also found out my 5 month old has feline herpes in his eyes, so he has been to the vet a few times now, and I've been forced to administer oral medication and an eye ointment for him, both of which he really disliked of course.
So now my cat has almost a completely different personality. He went from being super affectionate to barely wanting anything to do with me. He never wants to cuddle anymore and seems a lot more "independent". If he's not hanging out with the new kitten, he's doing his own thing either looking out the window or sleeping on a chair he's claimed as his own. He barely purrs anymore. He used to let me pick him up and hold him and he'd purr loudly. Now, he'll still let me pick him up, but no purring and he'll jump down after a short amount of time. He also scares VERY easily now, and he will run and hide over the littlest things. He used to be much more laid back. He also is much more lazy and not as playful, but this is something I had expected.
I don't know what's wrong. Is he jealous of the new kitten or depressed? Is he mad at me/traumatized by the vet visits and medicines I had to give him? Has he lost trust in me? Or is this all due to the neutering? I'm just so upset. I want my sweet, loving boy back. He seems to be coming around A LITTLE- as of recently he'll want to cuddle once in a while, but it'll last for only a short time.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, are you giving him l-lysine for the FHV?  It really knocks down the frequency of flare-ups. 

is he playing with the other kitten a lot? He is not as anxious as he was, now that he has a buddy. Just let him be himself, and get some interactive toys to play with him. A big favorite is DaBird. It is a wand-type toy. I am sure that both of them will go crazy over it.

Have there been any other animals outside recently? Or some other new noise that spooked him? At 5 months, he is still just a child and changes upset him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it has anything to do with the neutering. He's a teenager, and has been through a lot of changes in his short life, poor guy. Just be patient and I'm sure he'll be more affectionate as he gets older.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I totally agree with willowy, the teen months oftentimes brings changes to males as well as females, as they are maturing and discovering more details about the world and his surroundings, from the trusting, innocent and cuddly kittens they were just a minute ago.

He has been through some changes with you being his 3rd home. That's a bit much for any cat of any age.

He's simply getting his roots planted and is preoccupied.

In time he will settle in fine :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melaniedoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your responses. They were very reassuring. :-)