Before/After pics of LR Floor Renovation!

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I just have to share my good news. =)

It was a completely impulsive project that we did out of absolutely nowhere but are so glad we did.

My hubby is a contractor and was at a job site where the guy who owned the house had put brand new flooring in. It was laminate wood flooring that literally just clicks together - the easiest stuff to install! Well, he came home to tell me about it and how inexpensive it was. I totally didn't believe him so I called the store he (the owner) claimed to get it from and sure enough.. $1.11/sq ft!!!! I was shocked. So, even though this was a $500 project and several days worth of work- we were out the door about an hour later buying the stuff. Well, here are before and afters. I couldn't be happier- the carpet was SOOO nasty and had no idea how bad it was until it was ripped up. There were two layers so it took us longer.

First pic is the only one I have that shows the room more than others.. but you'll get to see my 8 yr old and hubby in it.
Also, we took the bar area out you see in the background (only used it for storage.. as you can see- we need a lot of that! hehe). We still need to take the roof off but that wasn't critical to get the floor done.

Second, I couldn't help it - this is one of the million pics I took of the cats while working on the floors. Ha, my older son (the one in the pic) put up a sign that said, "Listen Mommy" because I was playing with the cats the whole time.
The cats found a bug in this pic.

I'm going to post the after pics on my next post so all the pics aren't on one.
These pics I saved at 50% of their original size- so they're really small. The next ones I'll do at 75% so they're easier to see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here are the after pics.
The floor is a million times better- not only does it look a heck of a lot better- the cats absolutely LOVE it. They get to slip and slide around a lot more.. bat things around and just have a blast. They bat balls around endlessly. =)

If anyone is thinking of doing this, let me know and I can tell you where I got it, or where else you can get it.
It's extremely durable as well.

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how pretty!! it looks great!! i enjoyed the look of hardwood floors when i had them, but i hated the upkeep. and i secretly enjoy vacuuming anyway!!!

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ha, that's my problem.. I am FAR from being domesticated.. cleaning, cooking, planting, etc- just does not come natural in the least to me.

These floors are so easy to keep clean, I just keep sweeping (which I actually like.. it's easy). I can't wait to use the swiffer on it (wet wipes). I want to check the manufacturer's (of the floors) website to make certain what I should be using to clean them. I think it's great for anyone coming into my home w/ allergies. I can also use the swiffer dry mop to pick up all the loose cat/dog hair. I am going to do the rest of the house in this flooring - we just decided to work on one room at a time.

=)

Originally Posted by mferr84

how pretty!! it looks great!! i enjoyed the look of hardwood floors when i had them, but i hated the upkeep. and i secretly enjoy vacuuming anyway!!!

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ha, way more than I thought... but the hubby did most of it.. so it wasn't all that bad. Hehe.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Miss Mew

That's quite the undertaking!, looks great!

julianne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, the new floors are amazing!

Totally changes the look of the room - when I buy my own place I am definately going for wood floors.

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They look wonderful!

I have wood floors here, and the cats love them. I had Bella at my parents' house (briefly), and she was so upset that her mousies didn't slide across the carpet.

And wood stays so much cleaner than carpet. There's not a whole lot that I hate more than vacuuming, and I'm way too much of a clutz to keep from staining carpets.

Your room looks so much warmer and brighter now!

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The floor looks great!

I'd love to have wooden floors, but they would be way too loud for my downstairs neighbour to cope with!

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The floor looks awesome. We also ripped out the carpet to put down bare flooring. It is so much easier. Congratulations on a job well done.

Tricia

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I'm amazed what they've done for the room! =)

It's actually laminate wood - so it's not real wood but looks a lot like it! A lot less expensive. I would not have been able to jump right up and do this if it was going to cost me $6-7/sq ft- the room is almost 500sq ft! Hehe, I'll take it for the $500 it cost me!

Thanks again everyone!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is QUITE a stunning transformation!!!
I cannot believe that's the same room! Major props to you and hubby for a beautiful job well done!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We replaced our flooring 11 yrs ago. But we did the extreme-we ripped maple flooring out of a 100 yr old one room schoolhouse -cleaned up each stick and found a contractor who installed for us. Instant age!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is EXACTLY what I want to do...so it is laminate, and won't get messed up with liquid? What brand, etc. is that? Our carpet is SO old and yukky, and there were cats here before us, so it's impossible to find all the spots that might be smelly. It's not too bad, but sometimes on a rainy day...well, you know.

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's a link to the website who manufacturers the flooring.

http://www.sequoiafloorings.com/cont...e/hampton.html

We bought the wild cherry (I believe it was it's called). It already has the foam padding on it - so you literally just fit it all together like a puzzle. They have directions on the website I believe. Also should have tips on the best way to clean them? They're really durable. With all the kids and animals - I would rather something that doesn't cost so much anyhow - that way if for some reason it does ruin - I won't be as bummed.

I also think Lumber Liquidators sells this - starting at .79 cents/sq ft! I wanted it right there and then, and it was a Sunday - so I didn't get to shop it around but $1.11 was fine with me if it meant starting it that night. The only other thing we need to buy is floor molding to cover up the 1/4" that you're supposed to leave between the walls and floor. I guess hard wood (and alike) is supposed to be a 'floating' floor (or some are anyways, not sure)- so you have to leave a little gap for when the floor shifts. This is how I understood it anyways (that doesn't go to say much, hehe).

I got the flooring at BJ's Wholesale. I'm not sure if they're across the states or not (or country) but I'm sure you can find them somewhere. They were a lot more money at Home Depot so don't bother w/ them (and it wasn't the exact product, HD's was more work).

Good luck! =) It's WELL worth it if you do do it.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your new floor is beautiful & your kitties like it too.

Good job.

lei

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! =)

Originally Posted by xocats

Your new floor is beautiful & your kitties like it too.

Good job.

lei

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very pretty. Makes me want to put some socks on and slide across it!

How come the poochie was in the cage?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Very pretty. Makes me want to put some socks on and slide across it!

How come the poochie was in the cage?
Looking at the face of the cat walking away from the dog, it looks like the cat did it!