Been away for too long, meet the new Kid: Billy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That would give me nightmares....I caged in my entire patio with welded wire panels because I had to escape proof those screens or Id have a nervous breakdown worrying about it,it's really nice to not have to babysit constantly when they go outside to the patio---- even Timmy went through the cat door onto the patio and my only concern was getting him back inside( which was not too difficult after all)
At first, we thought he might be up to soething similar, but we then noticed that he'll just sit there for up to an hour at a time just looking. He never tried to do more than that, he just enjoys watching the world. Our main worry was and still is that at some point he's not going to be able to get his head back out of the netting. That's going to be real fun.. :headshake:.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
At first, we thought he might be up to soething similar, but we then noticed that he'll just sit there for up to an hour at a time just looking. He never tried to do more than that, he just enjoys watching the world. Our main worry was and still is that at some point he's not going to be able to get his head back out of the netting. That's going to be real fun.. :headshake:.
Yes, I agree -Id be very concerned about him choking himself if for some reason he was spooked and wasn't able to get his head out....I put clear acrylic panels 3 ft high at my old house where I used netting before I screened in a big patio I had because the cats would stick there heads out as far as they could while lying down- it worked very well

2x4s 6ft apart to brace and secure them and my cousin did his lower half of his patio with privacy lattice because he has a little Yorkie that kept knocking his screens out- inexpensive solution

My cousin made me a hallway partition and door with that privacy lattice- you can see it here
Escape Proofing your home!

You might want to post photos of your netting there for someone to see how to close in an open area?

Last edited:

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're not too worried about him choking, but there is a very real concern that he might (very probably) tear up the netting in the process. It is very expensive here in Rio to replace the netting.

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nine months now, and Billy is still a lanky kid. He's getting stronger and more sure footed- we were used to Pantera and Pimenta's precision agility, so Billy's slips and falls are new (it's a result of Billy trying to run around corners and jump onto shelves like Pantera and Pimenta, but he's still very young and lacks their experience and physical development). He's certainly got courage: he's still Bonzai Billy :flail::bicolorcat:

Another thing is his developing personality. Billy tries hard to snarl and be a fierce perdator like Pantera, but it's already clear that he lacks her aggression (but he's got no lack of courage,he still tries hard to get both of them to play and wrestle). When he really wants something- nearly always food- he turns on the charm.

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Billy is ten months old now; he's still growing but gaining little weight*- despite the photos he's still a long and lanky teen (he scrunches up in the photos, making him look more robust). Very likely he's about begin a growth spurt, given his absolutely bottomless stomach.

The other thing we've noticed is that Billy doesn't like hot weather. We had never seen a kitten panting outside of strenuous exercise :shocked: We bought a chill mat and all three drink lots of water, so he seems to be ok. But still odd

*his weight continues right at 3kg, or just over six and a half pounds. And all three were dewormed about a month ago, as a preventative measure

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
He's growing into such a handsome boy!
Have you checked his ribs?. It's really unlikely as you would have noticed, but panting can happen if a kitten/cat is flat-chested.

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's growing into such a handsome boy!
Have you checked his ribs?. It's really unlikely as you would have noticed, but panting can happen if a kitten/cat is flat-chested.
His ribs are normal, he only pants when it's really hot- he and Pantera both are relieved that the heatwave is over for now ( no panting ) 😓