Beef Neck Bones Vs. Oxtail For Bone Broth?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any added nutritional benefit from using one versus the other for making bone broth?

I saw some oxtail at the store the other day next to the beef neck bones, and I was just curious since there appeared to be about the same bone to meat ratio on each. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I was thinking since they're both bovine, like you that nutritionally they might be about the same? Is there more fat on oxtail?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I was thinking since they're both bovine, like you that nutritionally they might be about the same? Is there more fat on oxtail?
Maybe what I saw at the store that particular day was a fluke, but the bone/meat/fat ratio appeared to be about the same. Well, at least the part that was visible. I've bought many a roast in my day that looked perfect when I bought it, only to turn out to be mostly fat on the other side. :wink:

I've read that oxtail has a lot of cartilage, but I thought that would be pretty much true for any joint-type bones. However, since the cost of oxtail is significantly higher than the beef neck bones I've been using, I was just curious if there would be any additional health benefit to giving the oxtail a try one of these days. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I found this as part of a chatroom discussion on chowhound; Oxtails used to be very cheap until stores caught on that people liked them. Then the price went up. They basically taste like beef. However, because of the extra fat, gelatin, and so on, they produce an incredibly rich stock or stew and the meat, when stewed, has a better texture than most beef.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this as part of a chatroom discussion on chowhound; Oxtails used to be very cheap until stores caught on that people liked them. Then the price went up. They basically taste like beef. However, because of the extra fat, gelatin, and so on, they produce an incredibly rich stock or stew and the meat, when stewed, has a better texture than most beef.
Awesome! Thanks. Guess I'll give it a try, and see how it goes. :)

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I made another batch of bone broth. I used bones from chicken thigh (on sale), lamb neck bones (half off) and chicken feet ($2). I've used oxtail before but you're right--it is expensive. Ritz and Dahalia (not pictured) love it. During the cold months I heat the bone broth and add it to the canned food I give to two small cat colonies I take care of. I tried some myself--tastes like very strong regular broth.