Bee Sting Remedies?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My DS got stung on the ear earlier this afternoon. :cringe: I’ve never heard anyone howl like he did; he was shaking poor kid!! :sniffle: It got him right on the “antihelix” just above the concha. (Thanks Google!) Thankfully his Sunday school teacher had an after bite wipe and the church had ice in the kitchen.

It’s not as red and swollen now but I’m trying to decide if I can put something else on it. His whole ear was angry red at first!

What do you use for stings? I’ve heard of honey and topical cortisone cream. But I’m not sure what is the most effective.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I upset a native watch nest and was bitten all over my chin.. my whole neck swelled up and it was really scary. I took an anti-histimine and was astounded at how quickly and well it worked. I'm thinking you're looking for more natural answers, but if it is still creating problems, or it gets to that awful 'incredible itch' stage, I really do recommend them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that sounds awful. Fortunately with the fall allergens DS already had antihistamine in him. Maybe that helped. I'm going to try a little baking soda on it too. It looks much better already so maybe I don't need to. Google said toothpaste. I guess a lot of those have baking soda in them.

We have yellow jackets and what not all around our house and he's never been stung here. I didn't even see whatever it was that got him. We were parked by some evergreen bushes (where we normally park at church) and he'd walked to the front of my mother's car. At first I thought the bush had something sharp because there was no sign of any insects at all. :dunno: My step-dad said he saw something fly away though. :cringe: His whole ear was beet red. :cringe:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to get stung all the time as a kid (and wasp bites) My Mom would chop off a piece of the aloe plant and stick it on the spot or chop an onion in half. Not sure if either actually did anything or was just an old wives tale.

Now? I'd probably take Benadryl for a few days to keep the swelling down and aloe on the spot.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a product called variously AfterBite or Sting Stopper. You dab it on and the pain will stop in about a minute. A red wasp popped my husband on the foot and he was hopping around, howling like a banshee. I daubed him with the AfterBite and the pain was gone within a minute. No swelling, either.

Unsalted meat tenderizer will neutralize most stings, including jellyfish stings.

An old country remedy my mom used (and I don't really recommend) was to break open a cigarette and wet some of the tobacco. She would place it on the sting and within a fews minutes the pain would stop. In truth I'm not sure it was the tobacco or just time.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being a beekeeper,my hubby does get stung pretty often.Most of the time he just shrugs it off like it's no big deal,but when they get him around the eyes,it bothers him.He uses cortisone 10 roll on,and it works really well for him.We used to be able to get it at WalMart,but they don't carry it anymore,so I get it on Amazon.He says the cream and ointments don't work as fast.We used to use the meat tenderizer paste years ago but I don't keep it on hand much anymore.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A warm wet (squeeze out excess water) regular (orange pekoe) tea bag as a compress helps neutralize and draw out the venom.
Helpful hint if anyone has smelly feet issues is to make a foot soak with several teabags and soak your feet (leave the bags in), it helps with that too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! I'm going to make sure I have a few things on hand. I do have After Bite at home but I might look for the wipes to keep something in my purse for times like this!