Beds: mattresses.... getting a new set tomorrow... what do you have?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Ah, I see. You did much the same thing I did to save money.

And to echo what's been said, you don't want the softest bed. They wear out faster, too.

It's a bit funny but the first couple times DH and I were looking around for mattresses my back was acting up very badly (as in, couldn't lift my left leg up). That definitely showed what was and wasn't comfortable. Those softer beds were very difficult for me to get out of, too.

poppy0109

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the comfy looking new mattress!

My mattress is over 10 yrs. old and I really need a new one. My parents were going to buy me one this year for my "big present". They buy me one expensive thing each year and that is my birthday/xmas present (yes, I'm a spoiled only child
). BUT then my 20 yr. old water heater broke last month and they bought me a new one because I can't afford it right now.

I REALLY could use a new mattress though. I have myofascial pain syndrome in my neck and back. I have a water pillow which helps my neck. I have one of those thin spongey egg cratey thingies, not sure that it makes a difference though. My mattress is getting really soft though and sometimes I wake up with a sore back.

Maybe after I pay off the animal hospital bill and new windows I had installed in my condo last summer, I'll think about getting a mattress.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I currently have a waterbed but want and need to get a regular bed because of my back and neck. So I'm going to watch this thread closely for tips!
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I have chiropractic pillow that I got from my chiropractor. Unfortunately because of my waterbed it's not all that effective.

My chiropractor recommended that I get a soft mattress to start since I am large and going from a waterbed to a regular mattress. He said that a firm mattress would feel like sleeping on concrete and cause me all kinds of problems with pressure points on my hips and shoulders etc.

So the only thing I know is that I need a soft mattress. I don't want something too soft though because I need an improvement over the softness of my watebed.
We've had waterbeds for thirty or so years, and loved them. Rob has had chronic back problems for much of that time, but has been fine with the waterbed until recently. The latest flareup started just before Christmas and after several weeks of expecting that things would resolve and get back to "normal" "soon", he acknowledged that it wasn't happening, and we needed to change the bed. I didn't make a big deal of it, but was concerned about going away from the waterbed, because in the last number of years, sleeping in anything else has given me problems, sometimes quite severe ones, despite the quality of whateer we were sleeping on.

We did some research on line, and looked at several beds in the store, including the Sleep Number Bed, and the Tempurpedic Memory Foam. We weren't convinced by either of those, particularly at their high prices, though we were prepared to spend whatever money we needed to in order to get a proper bed that would work for both of us. What we ended up with was Kingsdown's Duet series, the Chopin model, and we're beyond delighted. We took delivery five weeks ago tomorrow, and haven't, except in jest, remotely considered letting it go. Rob did remark one morning a fews days after we got it, "This bed's gotta go." I could tell he was not serious. "Yeah? What's up?" "Much too easy to get back into."

It's a pocket coil construction which gives really good support, and has roughly double the number of coils of most other beds (1500-1900 depending on the model, as opposed to 700-900). But then, depending on the model, there's a pillow top, that provides the softness. I never imagined I could be that comfortable. Absolutely no pressure points.

It's not cheap, but we managed to catch the end of season sales, so the price reduction was probably about 40%. Even so, we were well over $2000 I think. I would also recommend the memory foam pillows, which we had not actually thought of buying, but since I'd been thinking of getting some new pillows even before we decided on changing the bed, we let the salesman talk us into it -- he didn't have much talking to do.

Anyway, there's our experience, for whatever it is worth. And also, for whatever it is worth, we were delighted with the service we got from Sleep Country.

ETA: Oh, yeah, depth -- this mattress is 15 inches deep, and I would definitely recommend going with the low profile box spring, as we did. We would not have thought of it if the salesman had not recommended it, and we would definitely need ladders, too, if we had not.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a regular old Posturepedic from Sleep Country with the pillow top on both sides. I do have an orthopedic pillow. We had a water bed for years and years but my back just didn't like it. When we moved to this house (6 years ago now) we got this mattress.

John and I both sleep like the dead, me even moreso than him, so as long as the mattress doesn't sag in the middle, we're good.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

The only negative I'm seeing at this point is that we shoulda went with the low profile box spring instead of the standard one....but we'll see how it works out. When I sit on it, my feet are a good 10" or so off the floor, and with bedding and pillows on it, the pillows cover the headboard up to the mirror.
mine's quite high, even WITH the low-profile box spring! i don't know if i'd be able to get in if it had the higher one!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bed is oooollllddd and because I didn't have the money to buy a new one, I got a 2 inch memory foam topper from Overstock.com. Got one for mom's bed, too, which is also old. The topper had helped with her hip pain. And my back doesn't ache as much as it used to.

I told my brother, who has a bad shoulder and he got a topper as well and it has helped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I spent the night in my new bed..... so far I've discovered a few things

- my old mattress dipped in the centre, so where your head was, was pretty even. This new mattress, the head area dips away from the mattress (you can see what I mean in the pic) so it feels like my head is being tipped down.

To get to a flat part, I'd have to move down 4-5", instead of my normal having the pillow's top edge along the edge of the bed.

- it was comfortable, but I did not sleep well. It's a new bed + I'm starting back into my insomnia issues... but when I did sleep, I woke up without the annoying pain in my hip area that I was getting.

I definately think it has potential tho....I just have to get used to it

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A new mattress is a wonderful thing. We had a water bed for many years, which was ok unless my husband turned over. As he weighs more than I, it felt like I was being launched! LOL! It was also awfully hard to get out of while pregnant. Then we had years of crappy mattresses, the last one had such a dip in it, that we either cuddled during the night or had to hang on to the edge to keep from falling in the middle.!

It's been about 4 years since we bought new mattress and box springs. It's a Sealy, pillow top...other than that I can't remember the model. I love it....it's still an awesome nights sleep and I never feel my husband move around or get out of bed. My only regret is that we got a queen size. It would be hard tofit a king size that in our bedroom, but there would be more room for the cats.....maybe! They bothlike to cuddle so we'd probably still be crowded.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a Simmons BeautyRest, too, and it's pretty good. Better than the crappy one we had before. It was about $1000, but it's so worth it. It's stupid that they cost that much, but I'll never buy another cheap mattress.

One thing to consider when looking at new mattresses- I never thought about this and didn't realize it until I went to flip the BeautyRest for the first time- make sure the mattress is double-sided. Ours isn't. The top has a layer of memory foam, the nice fabric, etc. The other side is just flat, plain fabric. Unless I buy one of those memory foam pads, all I can do is rotate it, can't flip it. I probably would have had to buy the $1500 one to get the two sides.