Be Careful What You Post Online

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you guys read the part at the bottom of the snopes report that stated that emailing the site will not take you off the site. It says you have to send it in in writing and gives specific guidelines on how to do so...

goosehazel

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up to my eyeballs in Thomas the Tank Engine undies
That is so scary. I will definately email people about it. I also cancelled my myspace account. I was never on there much anyway. Isn't it funny how much trust we put in each other on this site. TCS is the only site I truly feel comfortable and safe on.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

Did you guys read the part at the bottom of the snopes report that stated that emailing the site will not take you off the site. It says you have to send it in in writing and gives specific guidelines on how to do so...
Also note, though, the last section of the Snopes report, where it says "A Wired interview... confirmed that the information Zabasearch provides is compiled from sources that are already publicly accessible...ZabaSearch does not maintain a database. It is a search engine, which queries third-party public information databases." So, what good does it do to instruct them to remove your name...? They have no control over the information.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Also note, though, the last section of the Snopes report, where it says "A Wired interview... confirmed that the information Zabasearch provides is compiled from sources that are already publicly accessible...ZabaSearch does not maintain a database. It is a search engine, which queries third-party public information databases." So, what good does it do to instruct them to remove your name...? They have no control over the information.
I didn't see that part, but I guess theres no real way around it then. Even if there were, there are plenty more sites out there just like this one that for a small fee you can bring up anything from physical addresses, employment info, or proof of property. Its a losing battle I guess...

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

To get $20 dollars out of you.

kittiluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is scarey stuff, but isn't the information they obtain on a person simply the same info found in a telephone directory?? I'm not saying that makes it less scarey, I'm making an assumption that that's the reason this info is so easily accessible. I wonder if one's personal info would'nt be as easy to find if that person had an unlisted/private phone number?? anyone know?? It would be worth paying the extra $ on my bill to have my number unpublished.

mamasquishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That SUX!!!!! I searched myself, and I'll be da**d if 3 of my old adresses aren't on there. I moved three states away to have a new life. And, it just so happens my old life could come back to haunt me. And, really I can't do a thing about it.

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since the beginning of college, I was required to have a portfolio site for employers to look at, with a resume on it. My name, email, address, and phone number have always been on it and I've had no problems whatsoever.

I guess the only way you'd have issues is if you had something to hide, or someone to hide from.

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this. I did a name search on ZabaSearch and there I was for all to see. I sent them an email to remove me and they responded that I need to write them to have my information removed.

I noted a few posts that said they are just a search engine, which really sucks. I'm writing them anyway.