Be Careful Of Dr. Elsey's Litter! My Cat Is Currently Hospitalized.

mhbatman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This litter (Dr. Elsey's Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter) contains 'bentonite' clay, which is according to a published article in the journal of 'Veterinary and human toxicology'; cats that eat bentonite-containing cat litter are predisposed (more susceptible) to anemia with an associated elevation in their reticulocyte counts. If you want to read it yourself, here is the article title: "Suspected Bentonite Toxicosis in a Cat from Ingestion of Clay Cat Litter". You can look it up on Google Scholar and see what research (and not a company who wants your money) tells you. My cat's blood test returned with HIGH reticulocyte counts. I never thought about his litter at all, but then I started investigating every single thing he is recently used, and the litter was one of them because I changed it recently after I moved to a different area where the litter I usually use was not available. PLEASE, do not risk the health of your cat. I regret the moment I bought this a lot. My cat is sleeping in the hospital right now. I have been using it for around 4-5 months now, and the effect showed just recently because of the cumulative and gradual effect of ingesting the litter by grooming. If you are using it, you do not have to throw it right away (probably much more safer to do so though), but at least don't buy it again if you care about your cat's health. And ESPECIALLY if your cat has a history of Anemia. I will make sure to warn people from this litter in every website I have bought this from, or wherever I can write a review about it. I couldn't even imagine that my cat will be hospitalized one day because of his litter until I found that article. Graduate school taught me to look for reliable sources whenever I am confused, and I am glad I did. This litter is indeed and by all means natural, but please note that: Natural DOES NOT equal safe. Toxics found in plants, poisons in many mushrooms for example or even snakes are natural, parasites are natural, dangerous bacteria are also natural, etc. Don’t let the naturalistic fallacy fools you!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont use any clay litter, for several reasons. I do have three other litters i use, that do not contain bentonite clay.

Grass based litter, i either get the Abound brand, or pioneer brand, but there are new ones coming out every day, these are the only two i have personally tried.

Litter maid walnut litter that i get from walmart.

Dr. Elseys silica crystals respiratory relief litter.

These are all bentonite free, and as dust free as i have ever found. I have used the grass and silica crystals for several years, the walnut from litter maid only a few months, but i like all 3 of these and so do the cats.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your furbaby is in the hospital. It sounds like they have him stablized? I hope so.

You know, I often wonder about clumping litter ever since my boy got struvite blockage. He never had crytals when I was using Sweet Scoop, but when he got asthma I switch to Dr. Elsey, also! Granted, I know most clumping litter (that is not grass, corn or wheat) contains bentonite clay, but now you have me thinking I should go back to Sweet Scoop. That is very interesting about the high retic count and anemia.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry about your cat.

Litter is always a worry of mine with cats. It's so hard to find one that is safe. Even the "natural" ones need to have some added agents to make them clump. I hope your cat is okay, thanks for warning us.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This litter (Dr. Elsey's Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter) contains 'bentonite' clay, which is according to a published article in the journal of 'Veterinary and human toxicology'; cats that eat bentonite-containing cat litter are predisposed (more susceptible) to anemia with an associated elevation in their reticulocyte counts. If you want to read it yourself, here is the article title: "Suspected Bentonite Toxicosis in a Cat from Ingestion of Clay Cat Litter". You can look it up on Google Scholar and see what research (and not a company who wants your money) tells you. My cat's blood test returned with HIGH reticulocyte counts. I never thought about his litter at all, but then I started investigating every single thing he is recently used, and the litter was one of them because I changed it recently after I moved to a different area where the litter I usually use was not available. PLEASE, do not risk the health of your cat. I regret the moment I bought this a lot. My cat is sleeping in the hospital right now. I have been using it for around 4-5 months now, and the effect showed just recently because of the cumulative and gradual effect of ingesting the litter by grooming. If you are using it, you do not have to throw it right away (probably much more safer to do so though), but at least don't buy it again if you care about your cat's health. And ESPECIALLY if your cat has a history of Anemia. I will make sure to warn people from this litter in every website I have bought this from, or wherever I can write a review about it. I couldn't even imagine that my cat will be hospitalized one day because of his litter until I found that article. Graduate school taught me to look for reliable sources whenever I am confused, and I am glad I did. This litter is indeed and by all means natural, but please note that: Natural DOES NOT equal safe. Toxics found in plants, poisons in many mushrooms for example or even snakes are natural, parasites are natural, dangerous bacteria are also natural, etc. Don’t let the naturalistic fallacy fools you!
I'm so sorry! I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
I think our asthmatic cat had his first episode due to a dusty litter. I don't think the litter we were using was "bad" and would affect all cats (our others were fine!) but for those predisposed, sometimes these things happen and as a consequence we feel terribly.
We were using a dusty litter with covered boxes (to prevent spraying, etc. from hitting the walls...grrrr.) and he took to peeing and pooping next to the box. It was annoying but with his history of IBD we tried to ignore it and were glad he was at least pooping; since we switched litters and went to large, non-covered boxes, things have settled.
Litter is a constant pain in the rear in this house. I don't want to hurt our asthmatic and I don't want to upset those with litter preferences, and I don't want to miss a potential UTI or whatever from non-clumping to suit the asthmatic, etc. etc. etc.

Hopefully your kiddo comes home safe and sound, ASAP!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mhbatman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I will write an update on my cat health soon.