Battle Royale Between 2 Spayed, Spraying Female Cats

millcats66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a multi-cat home, all females, all spayed. I have two females who seem to have an issue with each other. They tolerate being in the same home and sometimes in the same room together. I have even found them both sleeping peacefully on the same bed together, yet they have a spraying issue.

One is my Maine Coone Tandy, 10 years old. The other is a rescue, Piper, 6 years old. At some point a few years back these two began having issues with each other. Tandy would aggressively go after piper and piper would run and hide. After a few years of maintaining separation, we brought them back together and all seemed well. Piper would stand up to Tandy if Tandy appeared to be aggressive and eventually they got to a point where they would ignore each other, or so we thought.
Over the last several months we started noticing puddles of pee on the floor by our refrigerator and in specific locations in our living room and bathroom. These incidents happened infrequently! And we sanitized every time with pet odor stuff with enzymes. It still happened periodically. One day my wife noticed Tandy with her tail up rubbing against the refrigerator. A little bit later, there was a puddle on the floor and pee on the refrigerator in the same spot Tandy was up against. So now we know who was leaving the puddles and why. It seems Tandy is leaving a scent when she rubs against items, and piper seems to be trying to cover the sent. Neither of these two have any known health issues as determined by our vet. We do have an array of male cays who frequent the exterior of our house, but I don't think that is the issue since none of these peeing issues are focused on the exterior walls. I am guessing there is still some issues between these two even though they appear to be tolerant of each other. But still, how can I get them to stop before they damage something? Fortunately the areas they pee on are all hard, cleanable surfaces (tile, metal, linoleum, etc.). Still, something needs to be done to remedy the situation. Any ideas, suggestions or personal experiences with positive results?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

It is still possible that the feral males are causing problems. Causing some insecurity. Has anyone done a TNR in your neighborhood? If you can, take a black light around the outside of your house to see if the males are marking.

Is there any additional stress in the household among the humans?

I would do a couple of things. First we need to build their confidence. We want them to know they own the house. So please step up play especially in any area they are spraying. After play feed either treats or a meal in that area. If possible add some cat trees and scratching posts. Height builds confidence and scratching posts help to get their scent on it. Have it around the areas they are marking (doesn't have to be exactly next to but as close as possible). And try to give them as much love and attention as possible without putting yourself at risk of being hurt, scratched or bitten in anyway. If you can get them to purr even better. Also see if you can add some warm comfy beds as well. Places they can feel secure and own. And please be as calm and confident around them as possible as cats take on our emotions. And use treats and food with them to associate each other with something good.  If you see them start to get funny to each other (staring, etc) distract with play, or food, or just calling them over for love). Anything to avoid anything negative.

It sounds like territorial insecurity to me. More likely the outside cats but it could be each other. The above should help regardless. The key is to get them more confident and secure feeling. To have them "own" the territory (cat trees, scratching posts, warm, comfy beds). And try to make sure every encounter between them is as positive as possible (distract with play, food or words - not yelling just calm and stern - if they start to get negative).

Let's see how this works and adjust as needed. I am happy to try to help for as long as needed. Hang in there, we can fix this.