Bathroom problems

hill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had a new kitten for nearly 2 weeks and he's had no issues with his litter box then suddenly he pooped on the bed 2 nights ago.  Then last night he peed on a rug. The litter box was changed over the weekend and I've cleaned it out every day. i cleaned the rug and comforter with an enzyme but I don't think I got it clean enough because when I got home he had gone several times in both places.  

I'm confused about what caused him to do it the first time, out of the blue. I can't think of anything that had changed.

What should I do to help curb this behavior?

Other info: he's about 3 months old and neutered. 

Thanks!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes an accident happens for the first time because they're babies & can't get to the litterbox fast enough.

You can try adding in more litterboxes, especially where he's having accidents again.

Make sure you thoroughly saturate the area w/ an enzyme cleaner. You can use a blacklight in a dark room to deter any left behind stains.

You may also want to try Kitten Attract litter.

And as always, when litterbox problems begin, I always advise a vet visit just to rule out any possible health problems. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll give the Kitten Attract litter a try.  I hadn't thought about a blacklight, that's a good idea.  I think the problem now is that he thinks it's okay to go in these places because it happened once.  I tried to give every inch a good spray down with the enzyme cleaner last night so that it would keep him from doing it during the day.  We'll find out if it worked when I get home. 

He hasn't given any other indications that he might be ill. I was very worried about that the first time it happened. If he keeps it up we're definitely making the vet trip.

Thanks for the advice. 

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just checking in to see if there are any changes? Hopefully a good update? :cross:

hill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took him to the vet on Saturday and found out he has Giardia, poor baby. He's been taking medicine and going less and had been doing really well with his litter box but when I got home today he had gone in the bathtub.  We still have 3 more days of treatment counting today and then we go back to the vet for a check up.  

He's obviously feeling better and even playing. Now I just have to get him over the diarrhea and using the litter box regularly again. 

hill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We'd been doing really well and were playing this evening and had an accident in the living room. Tomorrow I'm going to get him a second litter box because crazy playtime seems to equal not getting back to the box in time. Even though the apartment isn't very big and the box isn't that far.