Bathroom Habits

new kittenmom

The princess of sniffles
Young Cat
Purraise
So I haven't been back for a while. So much that I went from having one furkid to now five. Not much by choice. People just left them with me. Long story for another forum I'm here to talk about Ushio my young ginger tabby and what he does that baffles me sometimes.

You see, when he goes number two in his box, he vocalizes. He's very vocal in general as he and his brother are still intact (something I'm working on getting taken care of). I'm trying to determine if it's health related, but he doesn't strain and his stools are normal and not bloody. He also pees fine so I don't think he has a UTI.

Do any of you have cats that do this? I'm still going to get him checked by his vet as I want both of them to have a clean bill of health before I get them fixed. I just don't know if this is a cause for alarm. To make sure his bowel movements are good, I do give my little ones 1/8 a teaspoon of murilax that I mix in their wet food once a day and provide plenty of water.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can't be of any help. Just wanted to acknowledge your post and tell you that other members will come along when they find time to log on and read posts and offer their input. So be patient, and check back often!
I will ask how old he is and has he done this the entire time you've had him? And, he doesn't vocalize when he pees?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it’s not health related, maybe he doesn’t like the litter or the litter box? Does he have a choice? Or maybe he doesn’t like pooping in the same place where he pees and he tells you that? Or maybe he likes to use the litter box when it’s scooped? Or not enough litter for him?
My cat used to vocalize before pooping, as he wanted to let the whole world what he’s about to do. But he’s vocal in general. And actually he stopped that once he got older.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our last cat used to meow for me to come clean his box after he'd used it. He never did it when just my husband was home with him, but I was expected to clean up after him immediately. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

new kittenmom

The princess of sniffles
Young Cat
Purraise
My guy only does this when he poos. Since I have five cats I have 6 litterboxes in various locations. He is about a year and a half and only really started doing this when he matured sexually and started calling out the window for the ladies. He's the only one of my five who does this too. He's vocal and chatty but he is also more submissive than his brother if that helps any. Still plays, eats, drinks normal.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomeback1:
Hmmmmm never had a cat do this before.

Perhaps you could try giving him1-3 teaspoons of unflavored canned pumpkin or mashed up cooked/nuked/baked sweet potato/yam (the orange kind) mixed into his food? It would be gentler on his tummy then mirolax. I have never given a cat that and I’m not sure what the correct dosage would be. Pumpkin & sweet potato I know is safe. You could also try adding an extra tablespoon of water to his wet food or 3-5 drops of olive oil to his wet food.

Before you do all that I suggest you ask in the health forum how to tell if your cat is constipated or not by examining his poop. Is it hard or soft right after he goes? Is it normal width or extra wide? Is it normal length or more toothy roll length? If it is the latter he is constipated.

Also you can google ‘low cost spay neuter’ plus the county you live in to see if they have any programs in your county where you can get them neutered.

:goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

new kittenmom

The princess of sniffles
Young Cat
Purraise
I unfortunately have tried adding pumpkin, sweet potato and olive oil to his food. He seems to detect it and not eat at all (the booger) Murilax I can dissolve into his wet food with little trouble and I have been adding 1/8 a teaspoon a day as per my vet's instructions. His poos are soft, and average length. It will definitely be something I talk to my vet about. I wonder if he meows while pooing much like how we people grunt while doing our thing? I don't know lol.