Bathroom Behavior

ichini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This isn't about what goes on in the litter box, but our actual bathroom. The way our living situation is set up, we have half of house set up to where it's a bit like an apartment where we have our room, hallway, and bathroom all connected. We keep the bathroom door open because that is where we keep his litter and food. He spends a lot of time in there playing, especially in the bathtub (when it's not full of water, of course) 

My concern however is that when he is in there, and mostly when we are in there he gets very very vocal. He meows much louder, almost as if he's in heat. But he is only 4 months old, and not neutered (that is gonna happen in the next month or so)

I feel as if its nothing to be very concerned about about, but just something I am more curious about. 

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are fascinated by bathrooms in the first place. Perhaps its because when we are in there, they have us as a captive audience. I leave the door open to mine when I'm in there because 1) I'm home alone a lot, and 2) the critters love to follow me in there. We do have conversations in there - I think it goes along with the "captive audience" theme. Any cat that likes to converse does so more so in the bathroom.

I personally think its kind of cute.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz is more interested in the very small bathroom than she use to be.  Perhaps because occasionally I put crickets in the bathtub for her to catch and eat.

I live alone so the door to the  bathroom is always open.  She likes to follow me when I use the Human Litter Box (#1).  She goes into the bathtub, and peaks her head out close to the toilet.

So yesterday I left the lid open after using the HLB and she daintily stepped on to the seat.  I encouraged her to take a good whiff, but be careful.  I didn't want her falling in.  She walked around the perimeter, sniffed, and smelled some more. 

I told her that when I did a #2, I'd let her smell, oh boy what a treat !

And then curiosity satisfied, jumped on to the floor and out of the bathroom.

Oh and when my sister is over and uses the bathroom, she closes the door (of course).  Ritz waits at the door, wanting in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ichini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just can't wrap my head around it. He is so bizarre in there. Not only is he more vocal, but when either my boyfriend or I are sitting down, he comes and plops down on the floor in front of us, belly up, meowing for attention. He is never like that in the rest of the room. Only the bathroom. 

Lately I've also noticed he spends more free time in there, not just when we are in there. I think it may possibly be because (and I just realized this 5 minutes ago) is that is the only room with floor that isn't carpet, and he might just like laying on the floor. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IchNi:  I think you may have answered part of the puzzle--she likes the feel of the tile floor (or, just hates the carpet).

Also, tile floor tends to be cooler in general.  So if it is hot right now where you live, maybe the bathroom is cooler to her.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just can't wrap my head around it. He is so bizarre in there. Not only is he more vocal, but when either my boyfriend or I are sitting down, he comes and plops down on the floor in front of us, belly up, meowing for attention. He is never like that in the rest of the room. Only the bathroom. 
That is completely normal. A member of this site once posted a picture of her cat sitting in her husbands pant legs that were bunched around his ankles while sitting on the throne. That was ROFL funny. Mine sometimes try to crawl into my lap. Yup - completely normal behavior.

Many of mine love cool surfaces also and avoid carpeted areas.

Last edited:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds normal to me.  When I'm in the bathroom all 4 of mine come running in to see what I'm up to. They are fascinated by the running water and whatever else I'm doing. Sometimes the dogs come in as well and I have all 6 of them in there with me.  Especially when I'm taking a bath instead of a shower ;)

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten loves the bathroom. As soon as he knows someone is in there, he's come running in and then does one big meow. No matter where I am, he tried to get up and cuddle. When I'm at the toilet he's standing on the ridge of the tub trying to rub against my leg, when I'm brushing my teeth he's standing on the sink, while in the shower, he's on the ridge of the tub again between the liner and shower curtain. But oh my if anyone goes in the bathroom and closes the door with him outside he gets ANGRY! Sits outside the doors and meows sooo loud until they get out. I guess he thinks he is missing something in there 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are many attraction to a cat in a bathroom.  Differently-textured surfaces.  Cool surfaces.  Warm surfaces.  Water.  New sounds.  Strong smells (yes, cats like smells of all sorts).  And people just sitting there, ready to pay attention to them.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thunder is 7 months old and she always follows us to the bathroom and when flush the toliet she will get on it and watch the water go down. Then she will open the bottom cabinet and seek and find in there. She is so funny.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my kitten but the bathroom is my private place.
Have fun with that. I don't even close the door anymore because my cats will sit outside, scratching and meowing until I come out.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten was in heat at the age of 5 months. Thunder keeps us up all night . She at this time is very vocal and very loving. But when she isn't in heat she doesn't want to be held. We live in a 4 unit building and bathrooms are next to each other. I think the next door neighbor can hear her but not saying anything at all. Both of my cats are indoor cats.

dejolane

denneamarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little girl Sadie (6 months old) loves the bathroom. She follows me in there every morning and perches herself on the corner of my sink or in my sink and watches me do my hair, makeup and brush my teeth. I do have to move her from the sink when she's in it though to brush my teeth but she sits right next to the sink while i brush and rinse and then she's right back in there when I'm done. My 3 yr old boy Harlow, also loves the bathroom. When he was younger he used to sit in the back of my tub or between the shower curtains when I showered. His favorite place to lay to this day is the tub. If I can't find him anywhere else that's exactly where I go to look. Unfortunately as much as they love to play in the bathroom (they play hide & seek with each other in the tub) they do like to get into things too. Sadie loves make-up sponges and will dig in anything, including my makeup bags, to find them. Along with the fact that they both love to play with make-up brushes. it doesn't matter how well put away they are they always seem to find them. 

Little Sadie waiting for me in the morning in the sink. 

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
denneamarie,

you have a very pretty cat. Thunder ( aka Key-Key) likes to get on the toilet or the sink and watch my husband do his daily thing too. She is very curious about everything.

dejolane