Bathroom Behavior

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So if he doesn't go tonight then tomorrow (morning) it'll be two whole days. I think I would call the vet for advice tomorrow early in the morning. Will she be available?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i dont know. she was in this past saturday but we dont have a full time vet so i'm not sure if she'll be in again this weekend or not. i will try tho.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if she isn't, hopefully the other vet will be.

There is one other thing you can also do if necessary. Since there is a vet school in your state that has a 24/7 small animal ER, you can call there for advice. (In my state they are very nice and very helpful if anyone calls for advice.) If you describe everything that happened they'll tell you what the best thing is for you to do in this situation. Here is the number
Emergencies
Companion animal (614) 292-3551

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that! If he doesn't go and I can't get ahold of my vet I'll call and ask them for their advice.

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning Andy left me a nice prize in the litterbox. POOP! And pee of course. Amos was in my room all night with me so it was most definitely Andy! :]

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good. This is great news. Hopefully there won't be any more poop problems.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful 'treat' Andy gave you this morning! Here's hoping you're in for a nice long worry-free period. Hey, were you ever able to get a urine sample to check for crystals?

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I asked about it but she seemed to think he didn't need a test since he's going normally now. He had two big pees [this afternoon/tonight] and another poop just a bit ago. I feel so much better.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I need to get another urine sample from my boy, but we had a very difficult time at the check up exam, and he's one that gets very stressed if I leave him in the bathroom with the litter box and that plastic litter for any length of time - he starts shedding like crazy and just holds it until he can 'escape'.

My vet says, that since he's going well, not to stress him further, and we'll get a sample later this month when I make an evening appointment - so hopefully he'll have a full bladder for her to work with. I suspect your vet is thinking along the same lines, since she surely knows by now that you're a most observant mom and will be calling right away if anything seems amiss.

Totally agree - amazing how we feel better once they start doing well in the bathroom!

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Saturday Andy had two bowel movements, but yesterday he didn't. The other cat didn't either [and just went now] so I'm not too worried. I'm trying to keep an eye on him just in case. He finished up his Clavamox last night also. Here's hoping everything goes back to normal! :]

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, no reason to be too worried right now. But start keeping notes on this every day (for both kitties) because it's not impossible that a food related issue is developing and eventually you may have to do something about it. If so, your notes will provide very valuable information.

ragdoll1188

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all,

My approx 6 year old female cat has started peeing on the carpet in the lounge room. We have tried everything. Steam cleaning the carpets, changing the style of the litter tray, changing types of litter, rubbing her nose in it, yelling, crying, pleading etc, and nothing is working. We have two litter trays and two cats. we were told to try and control which try either cat went to but when you work all day that can be very hard. She also has a habbit of doing her number two's everywhere but in the litter tray. It started out that it was only number 2's on the bathroom tiles now that has moved to the carpet as has the weeing. we are at our wits end. I am sick of the smell and as summer is coming along the smell is getting worse and worse. does antone know how i can stop my cat from using our carpet as her litter box. PLEASE

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ragdoll1188

hi all,

My approx 6 year old female cat has started peeing on the carpet in the lounge room. We have tried everything. Steam cleaning the carpets, changing the style of the litter tray, changing types of litter, rubbing her nose in it, yelling, crying, pleading etc, and nothing is working. We have two litter trays and two cats. we were told to try and control which try either cat went to but when you work all day that can be very hard. She also has a habbit of doing her number two's everywhere but in the litter tray. It started out that it was only number 2's on the bathroom tiles now that has moved to the carpet as has the weeing. we are at our wits end. I am sick of the smell and as summer is coming along the smell is getting worse and worse. does antone know how i can stop my cat from using our carpet as her litter box. PLEASE
Hello, and welcome!

First of all I will say that yelling, and rubbing her nose in it will teach her nothing but to fear you. Please don't do that any more.

Have you taken her to the vet to rule out urinary tract infections, and/or crystals in the urine? If you read this thread you will know that when cats pee outside the box it's for a reason,

She is trying to tell you something, and the most likely reason is that she is sick. She needs to be seen by a vet, have a sample of urine taken for analysis.

UTIs and crystals cause a lot of pain. The kitty will blame the litter box for the pain and pee else where. She will also sometimes try to pee on something right in front of you, to get your attention.

It's like she's saying "hey mom it hurts when I pee!"

To clean the spots you need an enzyme cleaner. regular cleaners, even steam cleaning, will not remove the urine odor. Even if you can't smell it, the cats can and if they can smell it they will want to pee there.

You will need a black light to find all soiled areas, and then the areas will have to be saturated with the enzymatic cleaner.

You also should have another box. Three boxes. And the boxes need to be kept very clean. Scoop all pee and poop at least twice a day out of all three boxes, and dump and scrub them once a week.

But please do take her to the vet first thing and get a urinalysis done. She may actually be in a lot of pain.