Bathing fobia

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful boy he is. Thank you for taking the trouble to explain more clearly what you are dealing with, with him.

Perhaps he would do better with a professional groomer when he needs help getting clean and removing his mats?

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hrmmm... Maybe a medium sized Rubbermaid bin with tall sides?

LoL, this is almost crazy... but maybe try Rescue Remedy, Classical Music (cats like it), a loooong play session before the bath, and whatever else has been mentioned.

Also, maybe you could get something from the vet similar to the Rescue Remedy.

I sure hope that my new longhaired doesn't require anymore baths, LOL. But I am doubting it since his hair is already stringy again, I am going to try grooming powder soon.

I hope you can figure something out for him/you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Perhaps he would do better with a professional groomer when he needs help getting clean and removing his mats?
Unfortunately we only have dog groomers here, we're still a bit behind in the cat businesses in this country..
Luckily I can get the matts taken care of myself and they are not that bad as I do groom him few times a week.

Originally Posted by KatKisses

LoL, this is almost crazy... but maybe try Rescue Remedy, Classical Music (cats like it), a loooong play session before the bath, and whatever else has been mentioned.

Also, maybe you could get something from the vet similar to the Rescue Remedy.
Utu actually prefers Iron Maiden
I do not know why, it's not one of my favourites..
Maybe I should try that next time with the rescue remedy.
I'll also ask the vet if they have something similar. Until now I've just been talking something to him with a calm voice.

I do keep towel under him when I wash him but I need to get something better.

Thanks for the advices everyone.

rain drop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have long-haired cats too. Before I moved, I had a shower with a shower hose and a stool for them to stand on. Now I just have a tub with a normal spray thing, so I just sit in the tub with them o_O I know it's weird, but if I'm that much closer to them they feel a bit better.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only owned one cat (my first one and he was a shorthair) that was terrified of water. He was a stray and I believe someone tried to drown him or something.

I usually gave him a "waterless" bath with a special shampoo, but keep in mind he was shorthair. The one time he had to be bathed, I had to stand him in the tub with no water and have a bucket in which I used a wash cloth to wet him down and then do the same to get the soap out - took forever, but he was less stressed.

I also got him more used to water being on his fur by dipping a comb in water and keep doing that to comb him till his coat was pretty wet.

With longhairs its more difficult but you could try the wet comb for awhile and see how that does in getting him more used to being wet and hopefully he will learn to tolerate a bath.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

The one time he had to be bathed, I had to stand him in the tub with no water and have a bucket in which I used a wash cloth to wet him down and then do the same to get the soap out - took forever, but he was less stressed.
I've had to do similar with Tomas. He's not that terrified, but settles down better this way.

As crazy as it sounds, I have an outdoor cat that liked to be gently hosed down in the summer.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley had a bath just yesterday! Like your kitty, he has long fur and sometimes just needs a bath. Xander seems to keep himself cleaner, but Riley's fur seems to hold in odor more and he tends to get a bit greasy, especially now that he's on long-term medication.

It does take two of us to bathe him. The 2nd person is really just to make sure he doesn't jump out of the tub. I've noticed that with Riley it helps to run the water ahead of time, and have a bunch of cups and bowls to rinse him with. The running water scares him more than standing in it. We also put some children's floaty bath toys in there to help distract him

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

^^^LOL @ that! You HAVE to get pics of that!
Of soggy MewMew? That will have to wait till around July when the temps get up over 100F (most cats will tolerate a bit of water on them in that weather). For some reason I've never through to get a picture.

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a long haired big boy and he does require a bath now & then. He doesn't like it just like my 8 year non furry child doesn't. But he loves to role in stuff and his fur is like a dust mop so it is required. I have been doing it since he was a kitten and he does ok. I have always found less restraint works best with most cats.

Now I do also agree if it stresses the cat out too much look for alternative methods of cleaning.