bathing cat question

baileysidney11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read and been told by groomers that we need to bathe cats to get rid of dead undercoat and to keep the hair and skin in good condition. Also, the more they groom themselves, the higher the chance of them getting excess hair build up ( sounds like a commercial) and a possible bowel blockage. They do groom themselves but need our help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Purr
I give Cupid a bath 1-3 times a week. Since he doesn't have fur, his natural oils build up and he doesn't ever feel oily, but the oil collects dirt. The more he is loved on, the more he needs a bath b/c our oils get on him and collect dirt too.

He's really good in the tub. When I first got him I tried bathing him in the sink but he freaked out. So I asked his breeder how she bathed him and she said in the tub so now I bathe him in the tub and he's fine. He'd rather NOT be in there, but he doesn't freak out.
well that's good.mine would probably freak especially patches

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My indoor cat has short hair and does an excellent job of grooming herself. I caught her trying to groom MEthe other morning when I was in bed!!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never bathe my cats, they do not need it. But, I do not have persians. For most short hairs a good brushing is all they need. This will remove any dead hair. Amber is another story, she takes a shower with us or like she did this morning, flipped the large bowl of water over because hse was playing in it

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read this and had to laugh at the time I gave Sam a bath...He was soft and fuzzy and smelled sooo good, but he didnt speak to me for week. Not to mention I got more water on me than he did and he was wailing like I was skinning him alive...LOL never again

G

ghostuser

Originally posted by SkyKitty
chelle, I don't have to worry about bathing my boys especially Aragorn who loves to join me in the shower.

Legolas also loves the water but he prefers the kitchen sink, so that's where I bathe him and both of my boys are indoor.
SkyKitty,

We were struck by the names of your furry critters. Our Samwise, who has not yet joined the family, was fathered by Lord of the Rings, and, of course, Samwise was Frodo's companion. Samwise, by the way, is a Turkish Van, and he likewise loves the water.

We wonder if you might share with us the origin of Aragorn's and Legolas' names?

All the best,

Ann, Jim, Miss Kitty, and, soon, Samwise, on a Texas beach

fivecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We bathe our kitties only when they smell or have rolled in the soil.

Generally, our eldest, Boy, at 12, gets bathed the least (maybe once every three months), plus is most grumpy when bathed.

Buffy and Tux, at 11 months old and very playful still, tend to get into the soil a bit and are bathed maybe once a month or in two months.

The babies, Sam and Akasha, at 3.5 months are bathed almost weekly. Sam seems to always smell of poo and pee (he doesn't clean his bum very much) and snuggles up to Akasha, who despite her fastidious grooming, ends up smelling like him!

Tux seems to enjoy baths! The rest, I think, endure it (Akasha sits calmly through it but Buffy tries to run circles around me literally, and Sam howls like a banshee - he howls generally all the time anyway), and then enjoy a food treat and a cool bask in the sun.

mikect01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bathe my 2 once a month as it helps with my allergies. My male cat cries and is able to vocalize the word NO, while my female just sits and takes it.

erickp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Tuxedo/Feral (i think its' the same thing) cat, and he sheds like crazy and has dandruff to boot. I have never bathed him but I think it's going to be a good thing that I do. Might help with the shedding and dandruff. My question is, what kind of Shampoo should I use? Are there any good natural products that anyone can recommend. Thanks!

~e

viki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bathe my persian 1 or 2 times for a month. Her fur looks oily after a few weeks so it is time to bathe her. In summer time I will bathe her every 2 weeks becouse of heat in Florida.