Bathing 7 week old kitten

CrystalJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a 7 week old kitten.he has been living in a greasy auto shop.i don't have money for shampoos,I was told baby shampoo would be fine. Is this true? Also tips on how to safely bath him. Ty..btw it's the little greyish white one he smells like grease.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Use the original blue dawn dish soap. It will work better as a de-greaser and is safe for animals, it's what they use for oil spills and wildlife. Remember to make sure you dry the kitten off fully after the bath and keep soap away from eyes, mouth and ears (ideally stay off the head but if there is dirt on its head you may need to). And that you rinse well to remove any residual soap. I usually wrap the freshly washed kitten in a towel to get the initial water off, then use a new towel to gently rub wet spots, if the kitten will tolerate it a hair dryer on cool or air only can help out. Do not wash frequently because it can cause skin irritation, its better to not wash but if their is grease in the kittens coat it's better to get that off.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Original Dawn dish detergent is good for grease. Stay away from the scented ones, super concentrated, etc.

Unscented baby shampoo works well for general dirt and will work on grease if you can't find original Dawn.