Bath time

cuddlemum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello wondering how everyone baths there adult cat, it's not something I plan on doing all the time but would like to bath my male cat from time to time. I know cats don't like baths but I figure that there might come times I don't have a choice. I want to get him used to be bathed and clipped nails by me etc. he is getting used to me brushing him, and have clipped his nails.
Would love to hear your routine with it all and any tips??.;);)

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is based on my own experience.  I hope it helps.

I have 2 cats, 1 male, Simon who I've had since he was 2 weeks old.  I started grooming him from day one, nails, baths, ears, he loves being pampered. One thing I wish I did was brush his teeth, but too late for that now.  It's the only thing he won't let me touch.

The 2nd cat is my female Chestnut who we adopted at the age of 5.  Her history is sketchy, she has trust issues with touching her paws...

Chestnut is a chubby gal of 20 lbs, so helping her groom is a must - When we first adopted her she in no way would let me touch her paws, never mind clipping nails.  

I began to build trust by massaging her gently, run my hands up and down spine, up around neck and shoulders running my finger tips down to her paws.  I'd then open her paw pads and massage in between. After she accepted being touched I started with her ritual of grooming.  Always after a massage.

I start with - 

Ears:  I gently clean her ears with ear buds/Q Tips.  NOT DEEP DOWN, just what I can see. 

Clipping Nails:  This is still tricky - My husband holds her against his chest, belly out, her front paws hang over his arm with his other hand under her feet.  At first there was resistance but now she trusts me a bit more so I'm able to get to her nails quick and easy. I've gotten good at this with Simon.  So it goes quickly.  If she's in a deep sleep on her back, I can sometimes sneak in and clip them quick before she awakes.

Bathing:  I have the convenience of a double sink, one extra large & deep and other the shallow.  I fill the deep side of sink with warm water about a 1/4 of the way and add shampoo to the water making it soapy, (at the moment I have Whisker City in my cabinet, I'm not married to this brand and as I read The Cat Site, I learn of better options, soooo).  I fill the shallow side of sink with warm water with a large plastic cup ready for rinsing. I have a face cloth and a large towel ready and waiting, 

I pick her up with her front paws hanging over my left arm and I dip her in up to her waist only, She has some eye issues and only needs help with her voluptuous bum.  As she stands on her hind legs with her front paws over my arm, I use the free arm to wash her with the face cloth. I try and make it as quick and effective as possible.  I don't want her scared or to resent me.  

We've been doing it for a while now, so it's getting a tad easier, trust has been established. I usually bathe her with season changes, 4 times a year and use a face cloth and give her "cat bath's" in between.

While she's not thrilled, she's getting used to it and it's obvious she enjoys the pampering afterwards.  For a while she let me blow dry her, but with my new dryer the sound is different and she spooks easily.  

After I place her on more towels on the bed and just brush the heck out of her.

I hope this helps, good luck...

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats and all 3 have a bath about once a week or so.
I prefer to bath them on a regular basis because then they know what to expect, are use to it, and the baths go better.

I fill the bath tub about an inch deep. Bring in the cat, shampoo, flea comb, and lots of towels. It's important that I shut the door. Sometimes they decide they're done with their bath a little too soon and I end up having to lure a sudsie cat out from under my bed.I start massaging the shampoo in on the top of their heads and work my way across their back, their bellies, legs and paws, til I get their tail. During this process I'll also use the flea comb to really get the shampoo into all of their hair.

One they have been good and soaped up I turn the water on, check the temperature, and using a plastic cup I'll rinse them off. I don't even have to pick them up out of the tub. I'll hold up a towel for them and they jump right in.

Hope that helps.