Bat in the Bedroom!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny, I'm working on the assumption that French farmhouse roofs are much like German ones, i.e., layered (terracotta) tiles, with insulation tacked underneath. After having a whole colony in our garage, and the occasional "stray" bat in the attic, my husband tacked up thick plastic foil over (actually under) the insulation, and since then, we haven't had any bat visitors, other than those Jamie finds on the balcony.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's gone. I went up at dusk and it was awake and cleaning its face - it looked so cute doing that. So I opened a window and shut the door and later on it had disappeared. I think the only way it could have got in was through the bathroom roof next door, as there is still an opening in the ceiling ready for the ventilator. I don't mind bats, in the sense I am not freaked by them, but they do carry disease (fleas for one thing, apart from occasional rabies) and they can mess, so I do not really want them in the house. I can't stop them coming in though, till the bathroom is finished and that will not be for some weeks. The cats never noticed it, which is good.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a couple of dead bats laying on our driveway this summer. I picked them up with plastic bags on my hands and put in garage can. I don't mind them too much as the do eat lots of insects - but dead ones Ewwww!!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, how cute! When we lived in Indiana, bats would nest in our tree in the front yard. We couldn't really see them, though. But if we went outside at night, we would sometimes see them flying around.

I'm glad the bat left. Hopefully they will stay outside for now!