Basset puppies are here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, to add more confusion, the dam whelped one final surprise puppy (another tricolor female) later in the morning yesterday...here she is!

I do think we're leaning toward puppy #1 still...she just looks like a little angel to us!

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is an efficient birthing machine! How nice for the breeder to have so many healthy pups! They're all darling, of course. I'm sure no matter what, your little lady will be a prize! Have you chosen her name or will you wait to see her disposition.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is your dog the daddy of all of these pups? I am surprised she was in labour and giving birth within two different days. I didn't know it could take that long.

All of the puppies are adorable. I too, would pick 1.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Is your dog the daddy of all of these pups? I am surprised she was in labour and giving birth within two different days. I didn't know it could take that long.

All of the puppies are adorable. I too, would pick 1.
No, we currently don't have a basset hound, and if we did, he/she would be speutered, as this little gal will be spayed when the times comes. We do have a golden retriever, and a chow/lab mix. We are getting our basset pup through a breeder, and so far, our experience has been fantastic. Whelping puppies can take considerably longer than the delivery of kittens...it can take up to 36 hours. And bassets are reknowned for their notoriously large litters...females whelp an average of 9 pups.

As of this morning, puppy #1 is ours! She has been reserved for our family. There's something so special about her markings, and what a face!!! She looks like a little squishy angel!!!!!! We're pretty positive that no one on the waiting list will go wrong with any of their choices of the pups, as they're all beautiful and healthy.

We are making the drive up on Tuesday evening to meet puppy #1...and from there, we'll see if a name pops out at us!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, we've decided to name puppy #1 "Rita". It's a name we all agree on...she looks like she'll grow into that name, if you know what I mean!

Welcome to the world, our lovely Rita!!!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! The more I look at her pictures, the more I know we picked the right girl!!! She has such a neat smattering of black on her back, and that makes her really unique. The breeder told us that she liked Rita so much, that she initially wanted to keep her, but then decided to keep one of the mahogany and white females instead.

Rita's ears are already turning rusty brown on the tips, and her nose has turned black instead of pink too...I'll be sure to share pics as they come, and I'll update everyone when we go meet her on Tuesday!!!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, on Tuesday night, my stepson and I made the rather long drive over to the breeder's to meet little Rita in person. Now we KNOW we've made the right choice!!! She's the largest female, and at 6 days old, she was already doing the "army crawl" all over the place!!! I brought our camcorder, and I made a short movie of my stepson holding her...and she yawned right on camera!!! It was so sweet. The sire and dam are GORGEOUS, and look even better in person than on the web. I also held her for a bit, and she just felt...right!!! Anyway, we're picking her up the first week of June. It's going to be so much fun to see how she grows and changes in the next several weeks!!!