Bartonella Disease

dch123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was just diagnosed with Bartonella disease. He is going to be placed on some new antibiotics for this (he has been fighting an upper respiratory infection for several weeks). Has anybody else has cats with this disease? Are there any long term problems?

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you done a search on this forum? I am pretty sure there is quite a bit of info on that disease. At one point my vet thought that my kitten had that disease - she gave me a long article on it. So ask your vet for information as well. I hope all goes well for you and your cat. By the way, this disease is also referred to as Cat Scratch Fever!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dch123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just did a search, and you are right, there are a lot of helpful threads.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats that have had recurrent URIs since I got them in mid December. They also sometimes have a cough which comes and goes.

Stanley has had the most symptoms, and we did the FeBart test on him. It seemed the most logical explanation, all the symptoms fit, but the test came back negative. I was really confused (and a little disappointed becauase Bartonella is much more treatable than a viral infection). Bella, who had the least symptoms, suddenly came up with a fever a few weeks ago. When I took her to the vet, he said we should do the Bartonella test on her just in case. Her's came up positive.

Now both kitties are on a three week course of azithromycin (zithromax). Luckily we have a compounding pharmacy that makes this into a fish flavored liquid. So far so good. I'm just hoping this will be the thing to end the snot flinging in my house

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dch123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. We have only had this cat 2-1/2 weeks, but he has had an URI most of the time. Our previous cat also got a URI, but I don't think it lasted more than a week. I think we are getting the same antibiotic, because I am getting it in liver flavor, so hopefully my kitty will like it. I am hoping this will make him better! They are so pathetic when they can hardly breathe!