Barely Eating -- Tests Normal -- Gingivitis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it a liquid or a pill?
It's actually a powder. Our vet said today if he's still back to eating well then his food should give him enough potassium, but if we see him taking a downturn there is a gel we can try (similar to what's given for hair balls). He also said to go ahead and start the Orbax today for the infectious anemia... it lasts for three weeks!!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you taste it? Is it really bitter?

I'm not familiar with Orbax, but I read that is mainly to treat bacterial infections and/or skin infections. 

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Did you taste it? Is it really bitter?

I'm not familiar with Orbax, but I read that is mainly to treat bacterial infections and/or skin infections. 
I didn't taste the Potassium supplement, but the vet said it is very salty and most cats sniff it out pretty quickly. This one he prescribed is relatively new and supposed to taste a little better, but Mr. Grey didn't fall for it.
.  Regarding the Orbax, the "technical" term he tested positive for is Feline Hemotropic Mycoplasmosis... Orbax is one option for treating, as it's a bacterial infection caused by a parasite.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't taste the Potassium supplement, but the vet said it is very salty and most cats sniff it out pretty quickly. This one he prescribed is relatively new and supposed to taste a little better, but Mr. Grey didn't fall for it.
.  Regarding the Orbax, the "technical" term he tested positive for is Feline Hemotropic Mycoplasmosis... Orbax is one option for treating, as it's a bacterial infection caused by a parasite.
I give Sebastian's medicines in a gel cap because he hates the bitter taste. I buy empty ones (as recommended by others on TCS) and coat it in butter before giving it orally. It pretty much slides right down and I "chase" it with a couple light spritzes of water in this mouth. It took some practice, and I got bit a few times (by accident), but now I'm an expert at pilling. Depending on how much of the powder Mr. Grey needs, could you possibly put it into a gel cap? I like gel cap size # 4, but they are pretty small. Others use size # 3.

Ahhh...so it seems we are still talking about the same thing, according to these resources:

http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresource...ories/diagnostic-updates/realpcr-fhm-test.pdf

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pe...l-health/feline-hemotrophic-mycoplasmosis/103

I did an internet search. 
There are many, many other links. 

I really hope the treatments the vet recommends will get Mr. Grey back on his feet! 
  How's his appetite (minus the potassium supplement that he doesn't like)? Be sure to keep tabs on how much he's eating to avoid fatty liver disease.

Random thought...any idea what cat bit Mr. Grey? I'm concerned that this cat (who possibly transmitted the FHM to Mr. Grey) is not getting proper treatment. 
  You're probably pissed at this cat, understandably so...it's just sad.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
No ideas, just hoping these new medications etc don't put him off his food again, and you have more success with the Orbax than the Potassium, it sounds like it's much more important to get this in to him - as long as he keeps eating enough.

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give Sebastian's medicines in a gel cap because he hates the bitter taste. I buy empty ones (as recommended by others on TCS) and coat it in butter before giving it orally. It pretty much slides right down and I "chase" it with a couple light spritzes of water in this mouth. It took some practice, and I got bit a few times (by accident), but now I'm an expert at pilling. Depending on how much of the powder Mr. Grey needs, could you possibly put it into a gel cap? I like gel cap size # 4, but they are pretty small. Others use size # 3.

Ahhh...so it seems we are still talking about the same thing, according to these resources:

http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources/pdf/en_us/smallanimal/reference-laboratories/diagnostic-updates/realpcr-fhm-test.pdf

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/feline-hemotrophic-mycoplasmosis/103

I did an internet search.  :) There are many, many other links. 

I really hope the treatments the vet recommends will get Mr. Grey back on his feet!  :vibes:   How's his appetite (minus the potassium supplement that he doesn't like)? Be sure to keep tabs on how much he's eating to avoid fatty liver disease.

Random thought...any idea what cat bit Mr. Grey? I'm concerned that this cat (who possibly transmitted the FHM to Mr. Grey) is not getting proper treatment.  :(   You're probably pissed at this cat, understandably so...it's just sad.
His appetite is still really good! Honestly, except for the weight loss, he's back to his old self! I've been supplementing with I/D because he loves it and seems to think of it as a treat. Wish he felt the same about A/D as he could use the extra calories. I honestly don't know exactly what bit Mr. Grey... could be a stray kitty... there are a few in our neighborhood we can't get close too. I also spotted an opossum in our garage the other night, so that's possible too! It's also possible he's been a carrier for a long time. I suppose what exactly made him so sick may remain a mystery, since we wound up with a few things brewing all at once. Will definitely consider the gelcap idea if our vet determines he needs to get on the potassium supplement, as it's a very tiny amount... thanks!!

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No ideas, just hoping these new medications etc don't put him off his food again, and you have more success with the Orbax than the Potassium, it sounds like it's much more important to get this in to him - as long as he keeps eating enough.
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:  
Thank you! He's taking the Orbax great! It's such a small amount, just .9 ml, so it's down before he even realizes what's happened, haha!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His appetite is still really good! Honestly, except for the weight loss, he's back to his old self! I've been supplementing with I/D because he loves it and seems to think of it as a treat. Wish he felt the same about A/D as he could use the extra calories. I honestly don't know exactly what bit Mr. Grey... could be a stray kitty... there are a few in our neighborhood we can't get close too. I also spotted an opossum in our garage the other night, so that's possible too! It's also possible he's been a carrier for a long time. I suppose what exactly made him so sick may remain a mystery, since we wound up with a few things brewing all at once. Will definitely consider the gelcap idea if our vet determines he needs to get on the potassium supplement, as it's a very tiny amount... thanks!!
That's great that's he's eating well!
that it continues!

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that he has lost more weight. 
  It seems there is something definitely weird going on. At this point, it doesn't seem like all this is caused from gingivitis. Keep an eye on that red blood cell count. Anemia is not good. Did they give him fluids at the vet to help with his electrolytes? Poor boy. I wish there was something more I could say. It sounds like you are doing all you can, and keeping in contact with your vet.

I don't think any cat likes to be syringe-fed. When I had to syringe-feed my Sebastian, I always followed by praises with a high-pitched voice ("baby talk") and extra loving and pets. This seemed to help, as he never ran away afterwards.

Just thinking here...there's another member of TCS whose cat has (had) Feline Infectious Anemia (FIA), which can apparently be caused by bite wounds (see: http://www.petwave.com/Cats/Health/Feline-Infectious-Anemia.aspx). Something to look into, perhaps? Of course, it could just be a really bad infection. I'm not a vet, so I don't really know. 
  I'm just trying to help because I really want to see your boy turn the corner here! 

Please let us know how things turn out on Wednesday. Continued vibes....
Just want to thank you again for suggesting Mr. Grey get tested for FIA. After a couple weeks on his antibiotic treatment, he is doing AMAZING!! He's gaining weight, he's running thru the house, and even his fur looks better than it has in a long time. I had also noticed after you recommended this that his paw pads were white, and now they are pink! I really think he's been carrying it for a long time, and for some reason that wound/infection tipped him over the edge. The only downside is that he's become a "canned food snob," haha! Gonna cost me a fortune, but pretty sure I can live with that!! 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just want to thank you again for suggesting Mr. Grey get tested for FIA. After a couple weeks on his antibiotic treatment, he is doing AMAZING!! He's gaining weight, he's running thru the house, and even his fur looks better than it has in a long time. I had also noticed after you recommended this that his paw pads were white, and now they are pink! I really think he's been carrying it for a long time, and for some reason that wound/infection tipped him over the edge. The only downside is that he's become a "canned food snob," haha! Gonna cost me a fortune, but pretty sure I can live with that!! 

That is awesome!  
   And you're very welcome! It really warms my heart and brings [happy] tears to my eyes that Mr. Grey is doing so well. 
  I need the happy stories right now because I'm having such a hard time with one of mine.

Being a canned food snob is a good thing! Trust me...you don't want a kibble addict. Mr. Grey having the protein and moisture will be much better for him in the long run. 

Here's to many more good days ahead! 

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That is awesome!  
   And you're very welcome! It really warms my heart and brings [happy] tears to my eyes that Mr. Grey is doing so well. 
  I need the happy stories right now because I'm having such a hard time with one of mine.

Being a canned food snob is a good thing! Trust me...you don't want a kibble addict. Mr. Grey having the protein and moisture will be much better for him in the long run. 

Here's to many more good days ahead! 
I am so sorry you're having a hard time with a furry baby. I sure will pray that things improve! 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
  Really good news that Mr Grey is doing well!  Here's to a happy health cat now you know what's been going on and he's on the right treatment. 

GoHolistic, I hope things settle down with your boy and he picks up soon.