Bare Essential Treatments for Single 90% Indoor 10% Backyard Cat in High Desert?

jazee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've owned several cats over the last 35 years. They've all been indoor and if outdoor confined to a condo/townhouse deck. They don't ever come in contact with other animals. I was pretty relaxed as far as not giving them any vaccine boosters or flea/tick/work treatments. I never had any health issues that any of these treatments would have prevented. I fully understand that most Vets and especially companies making the treatments are of course going to follow the "better safe than sorry" perspective on recommendations.

I have a new cat and I'm now living on ground floor with a patio and very small patch of grass. It is well fenced in like Fort Knox and I've let my cat out for brief periods so she can sun on the patio. She will patrol the small enclosed area but he's afraid of even birds flying over and has no desire to try to climb the fence. I've chatted with other pet owners in the Reno area and unless you are taking your pets in the woods, none of them that have lived here for years have had any flea or tick issues. They say while they do exist, this is not a very hospitable climate for them, especially if you are living in suburban neighborhood with little to no grass and shrubs in your yard. For almost half the year the morning lows are very cold so not much survives.

Now I know the perspective and opinions on this can be pretty personal. I'm just curious given my situation what other cat owners would recommend as a minimum ongoing treatment plan for both vaccine and anti-parasitic treatments? Based on my reading I would guess keeping the cat current on rabies as required by law and FVRCP booster would be the minimum but monthly Revolution or Revolution+ for the half of the year I let the cat out in the yard would probably be wise also as there is a chance a mouse could wonder into the yard and I know there are at least mosquitos in the yard.

I also use a sitter from Rover when on vacation and of course they may be going in and out of other households with dogs and cats. Never had any issue with them bringing anything in during the years I've used them but wondering if that would prompt a different ongoing treatment approach?

Yes I know the Vet can answer these questions but I'd like to get the perspective of other cat owners.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chances may be low for fleas, but what are the stakes if you lose that bet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since youre in the desert this might not be an option but: Beneficial nematodes for flea control

I usually don't flea control my cats for the patio.

They get Rabies yearly and the 3 year cat cold shot as needed.
Thanks for the input. I'm all about trying to strike a reasonable, not overly paranoid but balanced approach to risk control versus chemical/pharmaceutical exposure. The nematodes sounds like something right up my alley.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the input. I'm all about trying to strike a reasonable, not overly paranoid but balanced approach to risk control versus chemical/pharmaceutical exposure. The nematodes sounds like something right up my alley.
I understand completely. We do the same here.

I'd get further vaccines if they were ever to be outside unsupervised...but that isn't the plan with my three. If unsupervised, I'd get FELV vaccine as well. Magnus wasn't a candidate before or he'd have it...and now we aren't planning on adopting any new pets so not necessary.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can find a vet that offers them, titer testing (while a little more expensive than vaccines) can tell you what your cats antibody levels are, and what boosters are actually needed. :)