Bare "elbow"

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On one of Nedicks' back legs, she has no fur on that little knobby bone where her leg bends--what I call her elbow. The skin doesn't look irritated--it appears to be a normal pink color--and there are no lumps or bumps, other than the bone. Is this normal? Do any of your cats have this? The only thing that makes me wonder about it is that she's only got it on the one leg, and all of Nathan's elbows are furry.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible that that's an area that comes into contact with the floor, carpet, or kitty condo when she jumps or runs around. I know a few kittens that I've had, used their back legs as emergency brakes when they're zooming around and so lose a little fur on their elbows.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

It's possible that that's an area that comes into contact with the floor, carpet, or kitty condo when she jumps or runs around. I know a few kittens that I've had, used their back legs as emergency brakes when they're zooming around and so lose a little fur on their elbows.
Yes, my sister's cat had a bald heel from that same thing.

rita

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of funny that you posted that because I noticed that on both of DeeDee's hind legs yesterday
and was going to post and ask about it too.

zanniesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a Siamese cat once that persisted in sitting for long periods in one position without moving on hard surfaces. She would actually get scabs on her heels. I learned to reposition her every time I walked by. She had asthma and I think she breathed better in that position. Becky

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I noticed some loss of hair and old'ish looking scabs on our cat Elmer's feet, but never considered repositioning him or making him sit on softer stuff. I wish I had thought of that.