Baptism etiquette

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our friends are Catholic (Italian too!!) but not terribly religous, just more traditional I think.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

yeah but frankly where i live, catholics don't really exist anymore, not in my generation! But of course if I went back to Italy it would be a complete different thing!

I have noticed that people have all of a sudden decided to become religious when its approaching their wedding or funerals just so they can have it at the church.
Yes, Canadian Italians make more of a fuss for weddings and baptisms than they do in Italy. Someone told me once that they do it to "show everyone how well they have done in their new country". I don't know if that's true but our daughter has been to Italy several times as she had a long-distance relationship with a young man from Modena for a period of 5 years. She said they didn't put on the spectacular displays that are done here in Canada. Mind you Modena is Northern Italy and they tend to be quite different than Southern Italians.

Originally Posted by pushylady

Our friends are Catholic (Italian too!!) but not terribly religous, just more traditional I think.
I think that even if you are non-practicing it is important to most Catholics to have the baptism. We had Jennifer baptized at around 2 months old and had a brunch back at our home for friends and family. It was important to us even as non-practicing Catholics to have her baptized and it was important to hubby's parents who are very much practicing Catholics.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We customarily gave (and recieved) a rosary, mine was done in sapphire blue glass beads with silver spacers and a silver cross.
Rosary cases are also a good gift.

Yes, I'm Catholic, none of us are practicing, but every baby in the family has had a baptism and later confirmation.