Band Geeks

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

Not me, but both of my kids have been in the school orchestras since the 4th grade. My son plays the violin (among other instruments) and my daughter plays the bass. I would have never let her start playing that dang thing back inthe 4th grade if I knew she would still be playing it in high school. Do you know how big a 3/4 size upright bass is? We had to take the dang thing with us car shopping because we had to get a car that would fit it!
You're a good parent. I wish some of my students' parents would be so encouraging and accomodating!

And think about it: if your daughter goes pro she gets to charge cartage and keep the extra money!

I always am so happy my parents let me go as far as i wanted with it. Think of how different my life would be and how many experiences I would have missed out on had I not had my music. I would be a totally different (and IMO, much lesser) person without all of the skills I mastered and memories I've made over the years!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

Not me, but both of my kids have been in the school orchestras since the 4th grade. My son plays the violin (among other instruments) and my daughter plays the bass. I would have never let her start playing that dang thing back inthe 4th grade if I knew she would still be playing it in high school. Do you know how big a 3/4 size upright bass is? We had to take the dang thing with us car shopping because we had to get a car that would fit it!
Wait 'til you get a full-size bass, LOL!

I actually played that too. I once carried one home from Junior High (about 5 miles). My parents were like, "what will she bring home next?" Actually - keep her at it. There are a lot of Bass scholarships in college (like bassoon, LOL.)

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup - and PROUD of it!!

I played cello from age 10/11, then in high school I picked up percussion (cymbols/drums/quads), learned piano on my own (and site read in college), learned saxophone my senior year of school.

I still really miss playing the cello, but I just don't have time. Actually 2 weeks ago my favorite cello concerto was being played at the Detroit Symphony, but I had to miss for study reasons. I'm actually still heart broken that I missed it.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Wait 'til you get a full-size bass, LOL!

I actually played that too. I once carried one home from Junior High (about 5 miles). My parents were like, "what will she bring home next?" Actually - keep her at it. There are a lot of Bass scholarships in college (like bassoon, LOL.)
My niece got a scholarship to Indiana State because she could play the bassoon! Not too many around, I hear...

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

You're a good parent. I wish some of my students' parents would be so encouraging and accomodating!

And think about it: if your daughter goes pro she gets to charge cartage and keep the extra money!

I always am so happy my parents let me go as far as i wanted with it. Think of how different my life would be and how many experiences I would have missed out on had I not had my music. I would be a totally different (and IMO, much lesser) person without all of the skills I mastered and memories I've made over the years!
Well technically she already is pro. She played for a while with a western swing band and then did some time playing for a bluegrass band. Both groups did some paid gigs.
Of the string instruments I like the sounds from the cello the best. They are almost soothing. The violin is ok once they know how to play, but I have never heard anything as bad as a grade school kid practicing the violin, especially when he didn't want to! I will never forget that day I made my son practice and he sat there and glared at me the whole time, making the most horrible screeching noise. I just sat there and smiled and told myself "It's closer to his ear then mine." (I never made them play, but if they wanted to play, I did make them practice)