Banana peppers

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are any part of banana peppers toxic to cats? Seeds, flesh, etc?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet! I did not see anything in my search that says that banana peppers are toxic. But, I am surprised your cat wants to eat any of the parts! If your cat has eaten them, and it is harmful to them in particular, you would know - vomiting, drooling, lethargy, diarrhea, etc. But, the bottom line is: keep your cat away from them, if no reason other than, there is no nutritional benefit to having a cat eat them.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...that sent me on a mad scramble of searches. NOTHING out there mentions banana peppers. HOWEVER...I was able to find that BELL peppers are not toxic to cats (although in large amounts they can cause tummy upsets), AND that banana peppers and bell peppers are very closely related. Hope that helps!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If unsure, don't give any to the cat. If the cat ingested some, keep an eye on the cat for the next few days and watch for any signs of illness and be ready to take the cat to the vet if needed. This goes for anything edible and non-edible that you are not 100% sure about and the various lists of toxic food and stuff for pets online have no info.

Keep the free poison control hotline number in an easy to access spot or in your phone just in case you need to call:

Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital 1-785-532-5679

The more well known ASPCA hotline charges a fee.