Banana bread recipes

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 5 very ripe bananas that I need to use, and I have never made banana bread before, but would like to try. I've only made pumpkin banana bread. Throw me your best banana bread recipe so I can make some today or tomorrow. Thanks!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's the one I make. Never had a bad loaf yet!

Hawaiian Banana Nut Bread
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Makes 2 9"x5" loaves

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon (can try 1 t)
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (or macadamia nuts)
1/2 C grated coconut (optional)
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups mashed ripe bananas (approx. 5-6 medium)
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
3 teaspoons vanilla (can try 2 t)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 9"x5" loaf pans.

Combine first 5 ingredients and stir in nuts. Combine wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry and combine until just moistened. Divide batter between the 2 loaf pans.

Bake at 350° for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Note: Good with grated carrots substituted for the pineapple.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
This is the recipe my family has used for at least 50 years.

Banana Luncheon Bread

1-3/4 C. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 C. shortening
2/3 C. sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 C. mashed ripe bananas (2-3)

Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. (I don't actually sift any more, just mix the ingredient together). Beat shortening until creamy. Add sugar gradually to shortening and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with bananas, a small amount at a time, mixing aftr each addition only enough to moisten dry ingredients.
Turn into a well greased loaf pan (9 x 5) and bake in a moderate oven (350*) about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Let set for a few minutes after baking, then turn onto a cooling rack.

This recipe works well if you double it. You can add nuts if you like. I always wrap it in foil after it cools to keep it moist.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made an amazing one on Thanksgiving! (There was a banana mix up between my sister and I the week of Thankgiving when we went to the grocery store together....I wound up with about 12 bananas and needed ideas!
)

This is the recipe I used. I changed a few minor things around (added chocolate chips and more bananas. Also, the only oatmeal that I had at the time was apple cinnamon instant oatmeal, so I tried it. It turned out AMAZING!!!!
I got a ton of compliments from both Thanksgivings we went to!)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-....aspx?src=etaf

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!!
I woke up feeling horrible this morning (head cold, cough) so hopefully my bananas last until tomorrow. I really appreciate it, though.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Put them in the refrigerator. The skins will turn completely black and the bananas will be a little darker than normal, but they'll taste fine and last longer.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peel your over-ripe bananas. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and put in freezer. Use them to make smoothies -

Pour about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of plain yogurt into a blender. Slice frozen banana (possible even when frozen) and add to blender. Put cover on blender and start running. When banana is mostly blended add other fruit such as berries or melon. Blend. Pour into glass and enjoy.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also just toss 'em in the freezer. Just don't forget about them!