Balding scabbed patch on cat leg??

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I just got back from being out of town for a few days and my husband was watching the cats. I noticed my cat Beau has this balding scabbing patch on his leg. It looks really irritated and he’s been licking it a lot. I scheduled him to see the vet tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it could be.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! It is pretty hard to tell what might be behind the patch. If Beau goes outside, he could have gotten into something that irritated/scratched/scraped his leg and he is reacting to that. It could be something similar that happened in your home while you were gone that your husband is not aware of - or thought nothing of it. You might check with him to see if he can think of anything out of the ordinary, or that you can spot as being out of the ordinary, if you are normally their primary caretaker.

You can treat it with a harmless, but sometimes helpful, home remedy until you get to the vet. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that patch with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for him to ingest should he do so.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear you made a vet appointment, better safe than sorry. 😉 It does look irritated but not infected. The fact that he's been licking it tells you it bothers him, poor guy.😾 I also wonder if he goes outdoors because that could explain a lot. Is he eating, using the litter box and playful or is he acting more lethargic? Good luck tomorrow, please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! It is pretty hard to tell what might be behind the patch. If Beau goes outside, he could have gotten into something that irritated/scratched/scraped his leg and he is reacting to that. It could be something similar that happened in your home while you were gone that your husband is not aware of - or thought nothing of it. You might check with him to see if he can think of anything out of the ordinary, or that you can spot as being out of the ordinary, if you are normally their primary caretaker.

You can treat it with a harmless, but sometimes helpful, home remedy until you get to the vet. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on that patch with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for him to ingest should he do so.
He doesn’t go outside. My husband didn’t notice anything and I’m usually pretty good about keeping anything that could be harmful away from them. There could’ve been something he’s allergic to that caused it and I’m unaware that he’s allergic to it. He’s only 6 months so I’m not sure.

Thank you for advice with the chamomile tea! I’ll make sure to go pick some up.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear you made a vet appointment, better safe than sorry. 😉 It does look irritated but not infected. The fact that he's been licking it tells you it bothers him, poor guy.😾 I also wonder if he goes outdoors because that could explain a lot. Is he eating, using the litter box and playful or is he acting more lethargic? Good luck tomorrow, please keep us posted.
He stays indoors. He’s been still playing, using the litter box, and eating like normal. He’s just been licking it every now and then and it looks irritated and swollen. I feel so bad and hope it wasn’t bothering him the whole time I was gone! I’ll update tomorrow after his appointment.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said Beaus leg looks like a cut and with the licking it caused it to be inflamed. He was given a shot to help inflammation and to progress healing. While at the vet I was told his gums were also inflamed and he would eventually need his teeth pulled out. Has anyone has any experience with this? His gums are definitely red and I’ve noticed he’s been struggling to chew his treats. He gets fed wet food so that’s not been an issue but I feel so bad he can’t chew his treats. He’s only 6 months old. Is there anything I can do for this? The vet just told me to keep an eye on it and the shot she gave him for his leg will also help his gums.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully, this cut/wound is a onetime situation, and the current treatment will take care of it!!

Did the vet explain the possibilities of why such a young cat would have inflamed gums? Did they offer that routine teeth cleaning might
help? Sometimes gums can become inflamed from a buildup of plaque that irritates the gums around the teeth, although at 6 months old it seems odd to have happened already. There are cats who have a condition called stomatitis that involves gum inflammation, and this condition is often resolved through teeth removal.

If the vet can't be of any help regarding the possibilities, maybe you should consider having your cat checked out by a vet who specializes in dentistry to see if they might be more obliging.
Stomatitis in Cats: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment | PetMD

Last edited:

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I hope this doesn’t happen again with his leg. I wonder if his sister scratched him. I’ve been going through the house though to make sure there’s nothing that could’ve hurt him.

The vet said it was stomatitis. He just seems so young to have any dental issues. I do oral gel for them regularly to help with plaque buildup. I’d hate to remove all his teeth. Is there any chance it could be something else that’s causing the inflammation in his gums?The vet just took one look at his gums and said he had stomatitis. I’ve only noticed the discomfort in chewing on the past few days.

Heres a picture of his gums.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure what other causes might be for gum inflammation, but that is likely where a second opinion would come in handy, preferably from a dental vet. I'm not saying your vet isn't right with their assessment, but it is always good to get a second opinion when it comes to something like this.

There are a lot of members on this site who have dealt with stomatitis and having their cats' teeth removed. Most, if not all, report good results including their cats adapting very well to not having their teeth and eliminating all the grief that can come with stomatitis. You could start a new thread about this specific topic to gain some additional perspectives related to stomatitis.