Bald spots

Catlady712

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wondering if anyone may have any suggestions to why my cat is developing bald patches on his neck. We noticed one about 2 weeks back and now it seems to have gotten worse. He is irritated by his skin because he is licking it and also biting at his arm which is leaving bald spots on arm. He has no fleas we checked. Could it be ring worm? Or an allergy to something or possibly over grooming? We just today changed his food that he has been on since we got him about a month ago

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was he on another food before you got him? Food allergies can take some time to cause issues. So, if you started him on something new a month ago that was different from what he was eating before you adopted him, that food could be the cause. Any chance of going back to what he was eating before you adopted him and then going from there in terms of gradually changing his food?

With just a month's time, it could be just about anything in his 'new' environment, so best to start with the food aspect, and then move from there - litter, cleaners, detergents, perfumes, deodorizers, and on and on and on. Any information that you can get about his 'past' life might be helpful.

Any reason to think he has ringworm? Other cats? Or is he allowed outside? Or? Ringworm is not likely to have started before you adopted him and only just show up now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlady712

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your input!
The cat was brought from Europe so there is no way I can go to the food that he was eating previously. I think it has to be something he is allergic too, since he started eating the new food right away and we shortly noticed it after. We switched the food and will continue to monitor him.
No reason to think he has ringworm, I guess I just read up a lot on what could cause these bald spots.
He doesn’t seem to be sick as he is still eating and drinking and his playful self just licking himself more than usual. We do have another cat that we adopted but she doesn’t seem to have any spots on her. They are both indoor only cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not a cure, but you can try applying chamomile tea to those spots. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on those areas with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest should he do so.