Bald spot on cat

ahudson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help!  I have cat who is about 10 months old (born July 27th 2012 - her name is Cody).  My boyfriend noticed today (around 1pm) that she has a pink bald spot between her shoulder blades that is bit bigger than a quarter in size.  As of now (8:24pm), it hasn't seemed to get much bigger in size.  But she does look like she is licking near it.  I have 9 other cats in the house and none of them except Cody have bald spots.  I am thinking that, since 2 of the older male cats sometimes scuffle, she got caught in the middle.  Also, all of the male cats in the house are fixed and I haven't noticed any mounting/biting of the back of the neck that may cause this.  But again, it is between her shoulder blades.  We haven't used any flea medication in the past 6months, no one has just gotten back from the vet (to spread anything), and Cody doesn't go outside at all.  From my research I do not think it is ringworm because there is no obvious ring or scabbing.  I would like some feedback before I take her to the vet.  Thank you all for your time!!!

-A Hud

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm, I don't know what could have caused it. You seem to have covered the usual suspects. I have heard of cats licking themselves bald, but that seem like a difficult spot to lick that much. There's no sign of injury or swelling or redness? No insect bite marks?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahudson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We can't find any insect bite marks.  And yesterday there was a little red spot on the side where the bald spot met the hairline.  Today the whole spot is more red because it is scabbing over.  My boyfriend touched the spot lightly and she didn't scream or try and claw him (he was holding her).  My boyfriend's brother did some research online and said it could be from a tick.  That is possible because the older male cats get outside sometimes.  Is there an apparent tick bite that we can look for?  I haven't done any reasearch on it myself so IDK.  There is no sign of swelling and no scratch or puncture wound that we can see.  She was scratching at it this morning before I left for work so something is/was irritating her.  Other than that she is eating normally and has been playing with the other cats.  I am going to try and upload pictures tonight before I go to bed.