Balcony Enclosures- Has Anyone Used Netting?

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all- I live in a ground level condo with a decent sized balcony. I want to enclose it so I can let my cats out in the summer. I’m pretty sure I can’t have cage type or catio due to condo board rules.

I’ve been looking at bird netting.. has anyone tried this? My other thought is to build an enclosure with the cube organizers (saw many examples on Pinterest) but I fear with the time and effort and money I’ll have to remove it.

Everyone has to walk by my unit to get into the building so I need it to look nice and discreet.

Would love some ideas and photos of what you’ve done!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think bird netting will work really well, as long as it is properly secured to the balcony roof. I use deer/boar netting for my enclosure. None of the cats or the wildlife has managed to tear it, but the cats can climb up it quite easily. You need to make sure your cats can't get out at the top.
NewHouse20.jpg

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think bird netting will work really well, as long as it is properly secured to the balcony roof. I use deer/boar netting for my enclosure. None of the cats or the wildlife has managed to tear it, but the cats can climb up it quite easily. You need to make sure your cats can't get out at the top.
View attachment 217380
:wow:
LOVE that enclosure!!!! We're expanding ours this year. Very exciting!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
At a previous home I had a screen porch added for the benefit of the cats. I then covered the inside of the window frames with bird netting. This not only protected the screens from damage but it was also used as a climbing apparatus by my hyperactive Siamese. She could climb up to the top or climb sideways across the the length of the porch. The netting was very durable. I’m the ten years it up before I sold the house it never tore or had to be replaced.