Bake sales!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well, we didn't do as well as I hoped, mostly, we think, due to the lack of walk-ins for the boxed dinner event. We normally have many more walk-ins in addition to the pre-paid orders. 

My goal was to raise at least $500, preferably at least $600. That would leave $500 after reimbursement for the change I started the cash box with. I think we made $443.50, not subtracting the $50.00 started change money. That leaves about $393 profit/proceeds. However, I spent about $150-$200 of my own money, and was going to donate the materials, and not ask for reimbursement. I made a few Halloween crafts to sell. (Remember the black cat wreath? I had it marked at $30, but sold it for $15.) I sold 5 out my 6 bars of homemade soap, but at 50% off. The other crafts did not sell at all. I only made things I would like to have, and most didn't cost much to make, as I had most of the components anyway from other projects.

Cupcakes don't sell. Who'd believe that?  I had nearly all of my original 8 dozen left over.

Whole pies went the best, even though they were the most expensive item. DH and I made 24 pies, 14 apple, and 10 pumpkin, and sold all but 2 (apple).  My $1 brownies were the next hit, as I suspected would happen, though I had dozens left over. I'm glad I decided not to sell pie by the slice, and no one even asked, which surprises me.

Two hours before the sale ended, I marked everything except the pies and mini banana bread loaves 50% off. I did a flurry of selling then.

I made many dozens of chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin and peanut butter cookies, which did reasonably well.

The leftovers, of which there were many, went to a local food bank, along with the leftover boxed dinners.

DH and I spent 2, 12-hour days cooking.  I don't think I want to do that again next time.

If I do it again, here's what I'd do:

1. Make more pies.

2. Fewer brownies, but still a lot.

3. No cupcakes.

4. More mini banana bread bread loaves.

5. Fewer cookies, and no peanut butter ones.

6. No crafts.

Since the next bake sale probably won't be to raise a target amount, I'll set my sights a bit lower, and also ask for more help. I still won't ask for people to bake at home, which is a sticky situation, what with health department laws, etc., but we would have a crew cooking there, as DH and I did. That oven certainly earned some money for itself! :-) (The proceeds were to go toward the expense of the oven and its hook up).

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think pie always sells well.  Most people like pie especially homemade but a lot of people just don't bother making it.   It could be the cupcake craze is ending.  For awhile they were really trendy.  Most things that get trendy like that eventually run their course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

I think pie always sells well.  Most people like pie especially homemade but a lot of people just don't bother making it.   It could be the cupcake craze is ending.  For awhile they were really trendy.  Most things that get trendy like that eventually run their course.
I agree. I think the cupcake craze is ending.  But don't most bake sales usually have cupcakes? At least, that's what I thought! What do I know--I've never been to a bake sale until today!

The pies were made by my husband, and were beautiful and plump with apples. He used his mother's pat-in-pan recipe for the crusts, and they were so pretty and delicious--I just had a slice. The pumpkin pies were great-looking, too. The poor man spent 7 hours just peeling apples one day!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow. I was hoping you'd do better because you put such a large amount of time and effort in this. I honestly thought the cupcakes would go. I thought the cookies would go, too.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh no! I thought you would do a lot better. It sounds like you have a good plan in place for next time though. :nod: