Bad Toilet bahavior

shock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys! Sorry I've been missing for a while, but I've had so many things happening at once.
Here's my question. My new kitty, 4 month male, does not use the litter box properly. He never digs a hole. And he just 'drops it on top' - if you know what I mean - without covering it up. This does not seem to bother him in the least, but I am suffocated by the smell (it's quite bad). Sometimes he also does not get inside the box fully and half lands outside.
Please help, I've tried to show him how to dig and cover, but he ignores me.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, some cats just don't cover their leavings. I don't have any advice for you on that one.

However, for the standing inside the box but pottying outside the box problem, the solution is an easy one. Simply use a larger box or use a box with taller sides. Using a plastic under-bed storage container (without the lid) works wonders because it is so large.

mclays

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have the same problem with our oldest cat, believe it or not, and finally my husband got one of those rubbermaid containers that are a little bit wider than the average litter box and a little bit higher, so the cats actually jump a little to get it. It eliminated our pooping half in and half out problem....the cover up...we are still working on!

Good Luck