BAD scratcher - don't want to resort to declawing

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to chime in.........

Whenever somebody is saying they want to declaw their cat, and the cat tree is too expensive, I like to point out that the cat tree in no way will cost as much as the declaw procedure
But thanks for not declawing!

You could consider, if you or your boyfriend, or father are handy, making your own. My dad made me a giant one for almost no cost, you just need some wood and some carpet.

OR why not get a horizontal corragated cardboard one? They work great and you can lean them up against the wall if you like ot make them vertical, they generally only cost 7-10 dollars, and cats love them, thye just destroy them a lot quicker.

Finally, it is probably just a kitten phase, not to say it'll be over soon, but def. not a long term thing, usually they outgrow the climbing people stage between ages 1-5
goodluck!

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we found Sunny at 4mos old (he was apparently dumped by someone) he used to scratch the living daylights out of DBF and I on a daily basis
We didn't have to be doing anything to him, just minding our own business and out from nowhere, TADA, Sunny comes out to draw blood.

After trying several things, we finally just started saying "OUCH" loudly. Sunny doesn't like loud noises especially and we did that just as soon as he touched us with his claws out. He just turned 7 months and he has not scratched us or put his claws out on us since he was about 5 1/2 mos. old. He puts his paws on us, only now, it's just to let us know he loves us

Sunny also had the problem of scratching the doors and walls. We found scratchers that hang on the door knobs at PetSmart. They were inexpensive but he has stopped scratching our rental house up too

Please make sure that you spend as much time as you can with her. Play with her and just love her. She's young and she can/will learn not to scratch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tessa_s212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm looking into getting her some extra things. We'll get her an inexpensive scratching post for christmas, and look into the softpaws. The only problem is that buying things for her is not a sure way to get her to stop, declawing is.
And I don't own my own home... if it comes down to it, it is either declaw her, find her a home that will probably declaw her anyway(and I'm not likely to find her a home because I've been trying), or surrender to a no kill shelter, in which people that adopt her could still declaw her. Boyfriend's grandmother(who we live with) is already pressuring for her to be declawed. I'm not liking this situation at all.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I bought Lola some Soft Paws for the last few months we rented, I bought them at Petsmart. When I factored in shipping, the cost of buying at Petco/Petsmart was the same as online. The only difference was the choices of colors--clear only locally, or every color of the rainbow online. Since I wanted them right away, I bought them locally.

My adult cats actually did most of the training for Lola's appropriate scratching habits, and they were declawed by previous owners. She still occasionally gets me, but mostly by accident. She was a lot worse after we found her and she started getting healthy (about 5 months old). Now she's almost 9 months old and getting a lot better. I bought about every kind of scratcher out there to determine her preferences (which happen to be carpet - vertical and horizontal). We had some already, but we needed more of them to make sure she didn't damage the apartment. Wal-Mart has a good cheap post ($11) and they also have some corrugated cardboard ones ($5-$10). And I got a cool berber and sisal one at Target (~$20) that is curled like a ribbon. World Wise also sells Scratch Not tape for deterring scratching. Soft Paws really helped for us when we were first training her. After we moved I stopped using them. We have hardwood floors with just a couple area rugs now, so we don't have to worry about her destroying carpeting.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tessa_s212

I'm looking into getting her some extra things. We'll get her an inexpensive scratching post for christmas, and look into the softpaws. The only problem is that buying things for her is not a sure way to get her to stop, declawing is.
And I don't own my own home... if it comes down to it, it is either declaw her, find her a home that will probably declaw her anyway(and I'm not likely to find her a home because I've been trying), or surrender to a no kill shelter, in which people that adopt her could still declaw her. Boyfriend's grandmother(who we live with) is already pressuring for her to be declawed. I'm not liking this situation at all.
You have a kitten! Buy the soft paws. Take them back if they don't work. You are out no $$ that way. Don't declaw. All cats need a cat tree IMO, they are so fun for cats.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tessa_s212

You said before that the biggest problem was her scratching people and running over feet while playing etc. and that is all stuff that she'll grow out of.

As for scratching posts, cats need to scratch, just like they need to poo and eat. It's built into them and their bodies need the stretch they get from scratching (which is one reason front declawed cats have higher odds of getting arthritis and problems like that when they get older).

So please get her a scratching post asap. You might also have to get her a few types before you figure out what type of scratching post she prefers. But really not having a scratching post and complaining that the cat scratches things is like not having a litter box and complaining that the cat poos in the bath (or wherever). Healthy cats can't "not scratch anything at all" and if they have no 'good' way of scratching they'll end up scratching stuff you don't want them to scratch.

Scratching people is a completely different thing and that can be managed by managing the play aggression and energy of the cat and both of those will get better as the cat gets older.

Anyway could you have a talk with your bf grandmother (the one that's pressuring to have the cat declawed) and see if she'll understand just how bad declawing cats can be? It IS illegal in multiple countries and it can cause cats to stop using litter boxes properly, also there are a lot of bad side effects that can happen both immediately after the operation and years down the line.

In the meantime something like soft paws should buy you time while your cat grows up a bit and out of her most manic young cat phase and while you get the scratching posts sorted and figure out which types she likes etc.

The really nice thing about soft paws is that they don't harm the cat and they're a fantastic alternative to the permanent mutilation that declawing aka the amputation of the first finger bone of the 10 digits in a cats front paws is.

One of the really interesting things that separates cats from dogs is their front paws. Cats can turn their front paws inwards (same motion as when we hold a cup) which is something dogs just can't do. Also cats have a huge range of mobility in all their front 'fingers' and for example a pouncing cat will pre shape their front paws to fit the shape of a mouse for when they land. They use their paws to grab things, throw things into the air, fish stuff out and climb.

Yes claws can be 'inconvenient' for human owners but I see it as our duty as cat owners to manage that in a way that benefits the cat. This means providing enough scratching posts, training and patience. Soft paws can help as well, especially to buy time. Although some people keep their cats with soft paws permanently and that's fine too, in a lot of cases that's not needed and they keep the cat in soft paws for a few months while they figure out scratching posts etc. and the cat grows up.

It is hard though if you're living with someone that has the 'power' (owns the house etc.) and doesn't see anything at all wrong with the cat digit amputation surgery. I think the best way there is to get soft paws to buy time and then work on training the cat and then while that's going on try and get the pro-declaw person to understand why declawing should never be an option.

tessa_s212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

try finding on http://www.craigslist.org. Keep seaching in there often. The prices are LOW LOW, and they are in your area, so you go and pick it up, paying cash.
Due to all my animal rescue efforts, I'm on craigslist.com just about every day. In my area, I've never seen a cat scratching post advertised, unfortunately. Lots of animals needing new homes, some dog products, but never yet seen a cat scratching post. I'll make a post saying I'm looking to buying one, though, and see if I get any replies.

I've just bought a scratching post from walmart.com. 30" and has both carpet and a harder material. Softpaws will have to wait because I've spent over my limit this month now.

I'm just worried if it comes down to it... no matter what I do, she'll eventually be declawed. If I don't do it, others/new owners are probably even more likely to do it than I.

lmunsie, I'm rare, and I understand how you view that excuse, but for me it actually would be cheaper because I work at a veterinary clinic and get everything at cost. Kira just better be appreciative that I love her and not going the cheap route.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I rescued two feral kittens when they were ~5 weeks old...I'll relate what I did to train them not to play scratch / bite me. Your cat may be somewhat older, but these methods should still work for you.

When they would begin to rough play/bite/scratch me as young kittens, I would "hiss" at them, scruff and gently shake them, then redirect them to their sibling (who wanted to play rough anyway). I did this consistenlty and by 8 weeks old, whenever they wanted to roughhouse, they went for their sibling, not me. I have never been bitten or scratched in play since. At this point, I can still "hiss" at them when they are doing something wrong and they'll stop. "puffing" air in their faces also works as a deterrant.

The hissing / scruffing works because that is how their real "momma" would correct them...since I had them from a very young age (and you've had your kitten since she was very young) they see me as "momma" and so I correct them as she would. The scruffing / hissing does not hurt them (I don't pick them up completely off the ground when scruffing now) and it has not affected them in any negative way, as they are still very affectionate towards me and show no fear.

In your situation, I would hiss / scruff when she becomes agressive and physically remove her from you...i.e. hiss, scruff, pick cat up and put her away from you on the floor...ignore her. Or, you can keep a medium sized stuffed animal or toy around...do the hiss, scruff, then redirect her to the toy...showing her that this was the appropriate item to play rough with.

I hope this helps!
Art

tessa_s212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just picked up my 36" multi material scratching post from Walmart last night. I tried teaching the kittens to scratch it. They were clueless. Neither are horrible scratchers and we hardly ever see them scratching/shredding things like you'd see most cats do. So I never catch them in the act of scratching/shredding to redirect them to the scratching post. I've even gotten down and tried to demonstrate to them how to do it. They tried play fighting with me, but wanted nothing to do with the post.

ETA: When I picked it up, she asked me how many cats. So I had to explain that huge thing was for mostly one kitten that was awful scratcher. She told me to just get it declawed, so I went off on a tangent saying all that was bad about declawing(kindly of course). Don't think she expected to hear that. Lol. Her eyes got big, and she just shut up and didn't mention anything more about it.

They may have to wait a while longer, but I'm looking into soft paws. My only problem, I don't want to buy them for them to only grow out of them and have to buy new ones again.

Art, thank you for your advise, however I will have to pass it up. I am a dog trainer and understand much about the learning theory and all that entails. I would never ever alpha roll/scruff shake a dog, and I will not do it to my cat. The problem is not that she is exactly aggressive, but that she just has not yet related that the accidental scratching is unacceptable. She doesn't know why she's being punished, and that is what I can't get across to her. So it is just something, I think, we'll have to wait for her to grow out of. Purposeful scratching will still have consequences, however.