Bad Reaction To Flea Medicine

teccore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cats ok now but i put advecta flea medicine on him last night and he went crazy licking his whole body for about 2 hours then he stoped and went back to normal anyone else have this happen to there cat

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad to hear he is OK now! I can only guess that he really didn't like it - perhaps the feel or the smell and was desperately trying to remove it from himself. I think once it has fully absorbed into the area, the feel/smell dissipated and that is why he stopped obsessing over it.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix did the same for a while after I applied the Advantage. He is perfectly fine now.

With that being said, things to watch for would be behaviour out of the ordinary for your cat and an unusually appearence at the site of application. For example, if all the hair in the area you applied the treatment fell out and the skin became flaky.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats will behave that way simply because the flea medication is working properly. Some flea medications can cause the fleas to become more active before they die, causing the cat to frantically lick or bite themselves while the fleas are dying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teccore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes hes fine now but it was kinda scary at the time you may be right about the fleas being more active before they died