BAD REACTION to distemper shot

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two cats who are highly allergic to their shots as well. One nearly died several years ago and since then he has received antihistamine shots prior to getting his rabies which has been successful. This year - 4 years since the shots he nearly died from - the vet suggested we try the intranasal innoculations along with the antihistamine pre-treatment. He seemed to tolerate them without a problem. My other is due for her re-vaccination this summer and I will consider the intranasal innoculations for her as well. The rabies, unfortunately, is still by needle but I use the Purevax which is non-adjuvanted.

All 5 of ours are indoor cats and have only had rabies in the last 4 years since the rabies is mandatory by law, and the new recommendations state every 3 years for boosters.

Definitely use the antihistamine pre-treatment for your kitten (they use benedryl, actually). Mine tolerate that well and it has definitely been a life saving measure for getting their vaccinations.

Good luck with you little one and kudos to you for rescuing her. Do let the vet know of her sensitivity when it is time to spay her - one of mine is highly allergic to anaesthetics as well - nearly died during her spay from a reaction - so they need to be aware and use something that can be reversed if she shows signs of reaction.

moski305

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just went thru this with my silver persian Lewlew.......I took her in to be groomed and they said she needed a distemper shot.....being I was there I decided to do it, even thu she's an indoor cat..This is my first cat so I dont know much bout them......She was so so sick 2 days later.....she just slept all the time and I couldnt touch her she was in so so much pain.......I finally went to the vet, almost a week later. He gave her a shot of cortisone for the pain, did blood work and force fed her.....I had to force feed her with a syringe of very wet food...........I was soo thrilled when I saw her finally eat.......Your cat will bounce back but get to the vet! I have to say 4 weeks later and the past week she is now sneezing........UGH! She hasnt NOT been right since that shot ): She is 3-1/2 years old and has always been healthy.

In fact Im off to call the vet......good luck with your baby :) but please get her to the vet!

portlandgrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my kitten into get her shots yesterday and she is also having a bad reaction I think. She is limping and freaks out when I touch her leg that the injection was in. She also has not eaten and this not like her at all! She usually eats our older cats breakfast too. Any ideas on what I should do?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I took my kitten into get her shots yesterday and she is also having a bad reaction I think. She is limping and freaks out when I touch her leg that the injection was in. She also has not eaten and this not like her at all! She usually eats our older cats breakfast too. Any ideas on what I should do?
You need to call your vet right away and let them know! Good luck!