Bad potty habits getting worse!

pawkeshup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all.

I am at my wit's end right now. I've owned cats for the better portion of my life, but recent;y I've run into an issue with the three I currently have.

Right now there is Sniffles, my oldest at 16, who was transplanted recently into the home we now live in. He is currently at the beginning stages of renal issues. Then there is Stella, my fiancee's 7 year old who has lived in the home for the past 2 years. Finally, we have Peep, our newest at a bit under a year.

It started with random peeing on different spots, typically in areas they weren't normally frequenting. So we shut off those sections of the house. They never pooped outside of the box we had. I added a second box to help, and that stopped the peeing for a bit. It started again. We caught Sniffles in the act, and took him into our vet. We got a third box at our vet's recommendation. I clean all of these boxes daily.

Yesterday, one went on the mat. The one I believe who did it was Sniffles, my oldest. It happened once before when he was having some issues, and with his recent renal issues, I figured it's a possibility. Now, my fiancee has come home to poop completely outside and away from the litter, and even now in our room, which they never did anything in before.

The spots where they peed were random, and all over, and this most recent accident was in a spot they never, ever went before. I have no idea where to go at this point. Before we got the recent edition, Sniffles and Stella were fine sharing the one litter box without incident. Now, since Peep came into the picture, there has been constant problems. I don't think he is the culprit as we have caught my older cat in the act.

Where do I go from here? I truly have run out of room for more litter boxes around the home, and even if I get more, it seems to do nothing for the issue except make it worse.

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My guess would be that it has more to do with the renal condition. I would quarantine Sniffles for a day or two with his own box and see if the others are causing any of the problem.