Bad Flea Collar Reaction! please help

Greycat9919

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Due to cronavirus, I will not be able to take my cat to the vet as soon as possible. She has developed a wound like reaction from her seresto collar (recommended by vet for fleas). My cat is acting fine and eating normal but this is causing me concern and would like additional information to see if I can help my cat before her visit to the vet. She is 6 years old, and have been wearing the collar for months before I noticed this. I immediately took off the collar. From my research bad reactions to flea collars usually is around the whole neck where the collar is but my cat’s wound is only on one specific section of her neck. DECD90AE-3CDB-4FB1-8C28-67179BA807C1.jpeg
DECD90AE-3CDB-4FB1-8C28-67179BA807C1.jpeg
DECD90AE-3CDB-4FB1-8C28-67179BA807C1.jpeg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you put the little reflectors on it? If so, that's probably what caused the wound and that's why it's not all the way around her neck. The same thing happened to my mom's dog, but I've never used the reflectors so I was puzzled about it at first.

Anyway, it doesn't look too bad so she shouldn't need vet care. Just keep the collar off until she's healed, and if you want to try it again, try it without the reflectors.

Stacia_Powers7056

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve always read that flea collars are toxic to cats. I definitely wouldn’t use one of her again! I saw my vet last week and he just met me at my car and took my cat and called me and brought him back out to me when he was finished. I would try calling several vets in your area to see if any do this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Greycat9919

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you put the little reflectors on it? If so, that's probably what caused the wound and that's why it's not all the way around her neck. The same thing happened to my mom's dog, but I've never used the reflectors so I was puzzled about it at first.

Anyway, it doesn't look too bad so she shouldn't need vet care. Just keep the collar off until she's healed, and if you want to try it again, try it without the reflectors.
Thanks for your input and no, I didn’t put reflectors on. I will continue to looks out for signs if illnesses.

Greycat9919

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve always read that flea collars are toxic to cats. I definitely wouldn’t use one of her again! I saw my vet last week and he just met me at my car and took my cat and called me and brought him back out to me when he was finished. I would try calling several vets in your area to see if any do this!
Sadly my primary vet is super overbooked these days! Doesn’t help we live in a small town.

Greycat9919

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And also, the reason why I chose to use the flea collar was because she kept over-grooming her belly to the point where that section is bald. The flea collar was effective since she did not over-groom anymore or itch as much but this reaction is so bizarre.

Stacia_Powers7056

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I totally understand! As long as she is acting like her normal self, I wouldn’t worry about getting her to vet right away.

Greycat9919

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most are. Seresto is different. It uses the same chemical as Advantage spot-on, but it gives a small daily dose instead of a large monthly dose. I've had success with them.

Hmm. Was that where the buckle was?
The collar circles around a lot due to her grooming. But I have noticed she’s been itchy around her neck frequently.

Greycat9919

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, this is an update to my previous thread. My cat’s wound has worsen and is bleeding; there’s no puncture wound only the surface it appears. Does this looks like an infection? I decided to wait for the wound to heal but today I checked and it looks worse than before. I am very worried and will be contacting my vet for hopes of openings! Can anybody help and tell me if you can analyze her wound?

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had this happen years ago with a flea collar and never use them. From the first pics, I would have said to let her heal on her own, which probably would happen, but it does seem to be worsening. Not trying to scare you as this might be the worst that it will get. I would tell the vet that this is an emergency and that an open sore is worsening and see if they can help you. Would they take a look at the pics if you sent them. If this could be handled with something OTC they might give you some insights.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Any chemical product can cause a chemical burn but flea collars in general are well-known for causing burns.

After doing some digging seresto seems to have mixed experiences. I personally do not use flea collars of any kind because of the chemical burn issues they are known for.

I use revolution myself and have not had any problems with it.

I would trim the fur around the burn so it is able to breath and dirt can't accumulate there.

Keep any collars off so they don't rub and irratated it further.