Bad Experience With Medications For Bladder Inflammation

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tigger had a medical emergency over the weekend. He looked like he was blocked as he strained to urinate and I didn't see any come out. So, I took him to the emergency clinic. They said he wasn't blocked, his bladder was just inflamed. He has cystitis but no bacterial infection.

They gave me urinary food and several medications: Gabapentin, Prazosin, Amitriptyline, and Cerenia. He is also already on Tapazole and Dasuquin.

Anyways, he is urinating better, but, there are 2 big issues. First, he will not take the Amitriptyline and Cerenia as they are pills and he hates the taste no matter which way I try to give them to him.

Second, most importantly, I've been giving him the Gabapentin and Prazosin via syringe and he has been like a zombie on them. He was so out of it today that he passed out while drinking his water.
Of course, I called the vet and said he nearly died, what do I do. They said to just continue the medication at the same dose, making no changes. They just said to confine him if it's an issue. I'm at a loss. I feel like I'm risking my cat's life no matter if he stays on the medicine, reduces it, or gets off of it. Anyone with similar experiences, please weigh in. Thanks.

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would check and make sure none of those drugs have interactions with each other. Cerenia is too stop vomiting and nausea so i don't know why they put him on that. Maybe it relaxes the bladder? You may want to Google? The Amitriptyline is an antidepressant so i don't know why they gave that either. Now stressed cats are more likely to have urinary issues so while that reduces stress, is it going to improve his condition? Gabapentin was not given to my cat after hospitalization for cystitis.... Prazosin was.

A previous study20 involving 20 male cats with UO found that administration of amitriptyline, a tricyclic antidepressant, was associated with a high rate of spontaneous resolution, but the methodology used in that study was unclear. In the present study, we chose to use a combination of acepromazine and buprenorphine. Acepromazine appears to cause sedation, thereby reducing stress responsiveness, by decreasing the activity of dopamine in the CNS. Acepromazine also exerts α1-adrenergic receptor antagonistic effects, which could result in urethral sphincter relaxation and has been shown to cause a significant reduction in intraurethral pressures, as measured by means of urethral pressure profilometry, in anesthetized male cats.21 Buprenorphine is a partial μ-opioid receptor agonist that provides mild to moderate analgesia, thereby helping address discomfort associated with UO and underlying idiopathic cystitis.

They gave my cat an anxiety medication that made him highish but not to the degree you describe. That was in the hospital and wore off after we left.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll have to check with my regular vet, then. I thought they would just tell me to reduce the dose of pain medication as I believe that one is the issue. He could have drowned in his bowl of water if no one was there. It's terrifying and crazy to me that this clinic brushed that off like it's nothing. I understand it may not be good to stop completely the medicine, but, I thought they'd say to cut back as it is clearly too much for Tigger.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call and at least talk to your regular vet. The ER should have sent a copy of their records for this visit to your regular vet. If this was not done ask your regular vet to call and request them. Make a list of all the medicines and dosages to have in front of you when you call. Also mention when they are to be given. Also as for the pills check to see if your regular vet has them available in liquid form. I had to do this after my cat was in the ER and one of his meds was a pill. I called the vet I used for a 2nd opinion and asked if they had the med in a liquid. They did and she asked how many pills I had left to make sure it was mixed correctly. She confirmed the dosage with me too even though she had the ER record.

I had a vet over-medicate my cat once and when I went for a 2nd opinion the vet changed it. Your regular vet knows you cat better than the ER. Call and ask if he is being over-medicated. The 2nd vet changed the meds when I brought him in for an exam for a 2nd opinion. The 2nd opinion saved my cats life because the first vet missed things. I was dealing with a blockage issue caused by a UTI in one of my cats. My cat was hospitalized for 3 days. The first vet did not completely explain how bad his blood work was. He also completely missed the UTI and was not sure if my cat was blocked. Thank god his former foster mommy was at the vet us. My vets explanation of things did not make sense to her and she called me the next morning demanding that Sonny go to her vet for a 2nd opinion at her expense. Her vet saved my cats life. Her vet was beyond mad at how my vet handled things. She said she was going to get in touch with the practice manager. I do not know what happened with that because no one told me. The first vet I used is a multi-vet practice. I have had good vet care there before but my cats will never see the vet that missed Sonny's issues again.

You may also want to ask your regular vet about the timing of when the medications should be given. If this turns out not to be a dosage issue per your regular vet then maybe those two medications turning into your cat in to a zombie should be spaced apart instead of given at the same time. This would be another question for your regular vet.

Last edited: