Bad experiance at the Chiropractor

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it's funny that people call chiros "quacks." Those "quacks" go through more training than MDs do.

I love my chiropractor. I started seeing her when I was pregnant with my son (my husband began getting adjusted at the same time, as well). On his second day of life, we took my son to see Dr. Jennifer for an adjustment, because, contrary to popular belief, chiropractic care is great for babies (and children, adults, and the elderly).

If you got in for chiropractic care after having suffered an injury to your spine or neck, it's not unusual to feel discomfort afterwards (though often times you'll feel great). Likewise, if you've suffered from chronic back/neck pain for a number of years, it makes sense that you would be uncomfortable after an adjustment-things haven't been aligned properly for ages, and after an adjustment, they are.

Some chiropractors are better than others. I like my chiros to practice "straight" chiropractic and if possible, I'll go to one who has his/her degree from Life or Life West. I'm really glad to have found out about the benefits of a healthy spine when I did... now I can ensure that my son will grow up making chiro care a regular part of his life.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jillian

I think it's funny that people call chiros "quacks." Those "quacks" go through more training than MDs do.
And the only other person that knows more about the nervous system is a neurologist.

I love going to a chiropractor. I really need to get into mine about my neck and shoulder. I think there is a minor subluxation.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I hope he was joking... because if anyone is trying to "adjust" an infant's skeleton (short of there being a dislocated joint) then they should be sued and locked up!

I'm completely against chiros. There's too many nerves in the back and neck to risk it. If there is already narrowing or disc issues due to DDD, then it can cause serious problems. And a fun little fact, there's a nerve that goes through part of your neck, damage it and you can have serious body wide issues seemingly unrelated to your neck - such as heart rate and GI problems.
Actually when babies are born their spine can become out of alignment going through the birth canal. I'm not sure of the problems it can cause but that's why chiros work on babies.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, babies and children can benefit greatly.

My brother's girl friend's chiropractor also works with pets. My brother's RB dog Max was a cockerspaniel and had hip dysplagia to the point his back end was paralyzed. The poor thing couldn't walk and had to be carried outside to do his business. There was a surgical procedure costing thousands that my brother could have had done in another Province, and he was going to until his girl friend convinced him to let her take him to her chiropractor.

After the first treatment Max could walk again, by the second treatment he was going up and down stairs slowly. After a half dozen treatments he was running around like his old self again.

The chiropractor managed to keep him mobile for an additional 5 years and the my brother had him PTS at 16 years old because he was nearly blind and so confused
. They suspect he had a tumor.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think it's funny that people call chiros "quacks." Those "quacks" go through more training than MDs do
It's a four year program, post-BA, that usually doesn't have a residency after it (can, but it isn't a requirement). MDs are four years, plus internship, plus residency. Not sure where you got that information from.

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hour for hour, chiros go through more schooling. I'll be able to get the exact numbers on Monday, and I'll let you know then.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not quite sure why, but I know from working the front desk at a major hotel that there is no more disagreeable group to work with than the Parker Chiropractic College.

That, of course, has nothing to do with their qualifications, but we always dreaded their arrival. We had lots of groups, with varying levels of pleasantness, but the Parker College was the one we all hated to see on the schedule.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This isn't where I originally got my information from, but it serves the purpose: http://www.drgrisanti.com/mddc.htm
Please find a source that isn't obviously biased. And like I said before, that's comparing only the four-year program, not all the things that come after (or in the case of chiropractors, don't come after).

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

I worked for a chiropractor when I first got out of college. I am not sure why people say chiropractors are quacks. Maybe they do use some interesting methods to do their work. The one I worked for would not touch your body until he took X-rays and looked at them to see that his treatment would help. A lot of people who had never been under a chiropractor's care (myself included) did find the first couple of adjustments to be a little strange. Your body has to get used to being adjusted. But soon (I had a neck injury and scoliosis) I found improvements in many areas.

I was definitely afraid of my first adjustment. I do think you should go back. I totally skipped page 2 of this thread because I was so anxious to post so I'll go back and read it. But not all chiropractors are nut jobs. I haven't met many, so I'm not sure the ones that are. I think it's just a stigma that has been spread around by people.