Bad Encounters With Bad Doctors.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, this thread made me start thinking on other past experiences.

When I was 21, I freaked: There was a black dot in the middle of one of my many moles. At first I thought it was from an ink pen, but after a few days and a few showers, it was still there, black as ever.

So I went to my dermo about it...especially since she had plenty of reads in the waiting room about skin cancer (I went to her regularly for acne as a teenager).

She was NOT CONCERNED about it and didn't think it was anything bad. I flat out told her to remove it...I didn't want a mole with a black dot on it. I refused to leave the office until she removed it. She was totally non-chalant about it, saying that it doesn't look like melanoma, etc.

A week later I get a phone call for a follow up appointment. The mole was benign, however it was dysplastic (which can be a precursor of melanoma).

I promptly switch dermos after that ordeal and now have to watch my moles carefully.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had surgery on both of my feet about 4 years ago (years of dancing and sports wreaked havoc on both feet). I seriously hope nobody else EVER uses the idiot who did my foot surgeries
The stupid doctor damaged my left foot soo bad that on the bottom of my left foot i still have a pieces of bone/skin that sticks out a bit in the very middle of the bottom of my foot
(it's shaped almost like a circle- about the size of a quarter right in the middle of the foot
I have to wear orthapedic shoes to work and can no longer wear most heels/cute shoes that i used to LOVE because after only a few minutes my left foot begins to hurt very badly. It really affects my day to day life- i had a hard time finding a good pair of shoes to wear for my upcomming wedding simply because of the damage to my left foot. (i lucked out and found a VERY comfy pair of heels with an orthapedic insert and some ballet flats for the reception!)

Thankfully for me my right pinky toe wound up ok post op- so he at least didn't mess that up

I have to get the damaged part of my left foot repaired sometime in the future thanks to him doing that!

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope she did nothing just thought My mom and I were lying about my diet and she insisted that my periods would get normal.

Originally Posted by AddieBee

Wow... no one did blood work or examined your belly? I would have to think that is borderline malpractice. Bloodwork is like a matter of standard practice. I have weight issues... and one of the first thing any dr does is look for hypothyroidism. Also runs in my family.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago I had a severe sinus infection that caused both of my eardrums to burst at the same time. Because of that, I had motion sickness. When I called the Dr's office, I couldn't get in to see my reg. Dr, so I saw another at the same place. He confirmed that I had a sinus infection and the pressure caused my eardrums to burst. He gave me a prescription for an allergy med (to relieve the pressure), had my shake my head to prove I had motion sickness, and sent me home (luckily I had someone to drive me there).

Did anyone miss it? He didn't give me ANY antibiotics!!!! Both eardrums were oozing puss and blood, and I had a sinus infection. I called the Dr's office the next day and my Dr was HORRIFIED the other Dr only gave me allergy meds. Not sure why he didn't think I needed antibiotics for an infection of my sinuses and eardrums.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

You know, this thread made me start thinking on other past experiences.

When I was 21, I freaked: There was a black dot in the middle of one of my many moles. At first I thought it was from an ink pen, but after a few days and a few showers, it was still there, black as ever.

So I went to my dermo about it...especially since she had plenty of reads in the waiting room about skin cancer (I went to her regularly for acne as a teenager).

She was NOT CONCERNED about it and didn't think it was anything bad. I flat out told her to remove it...I didn't want a mole with a black dot on it. I refused to leave the office until she removed it. She was totally non-chalant about it, saying that it doesn't look like melanoma, etc.

A week later I get a phone call for a follow up appointment. The mole was benign, however it was dysplastic (which can be a precursor of melanoma).

I promptly switch dermos after that ordeal and now have to watch my moles carefully.
I went to my regular doctor because I had a red bump on my arm that wasn't going away. I'm very fair skinned, and I'd watched my best friend's mother (who was like a second mother to me) die of melanoma, so I'm extremely cautious about these things. She took a look at it and pronounced it skin cancer. She said it was basal cell and nondangerous, but still. Cancer. So I made an appointment with a dermatologist, on her recommendation, to have it removed. I went in, she looked at it, and she told me that it was a scar from a mosquito bite, and most certainly NOT cancer.

Nice. Thanks.

Jess just had a bad one, too. Last week, she had this awful earache. It was in a weird spot in her ear, and she had one just like it last year; it was an oddly-placed ear infection, and antibiotic ear drops cleared it right up. So she called the office, but her regular doctor wasn't in, so she made an appointment to see this guy.

At first, he couldn't see ANYTHING, and she told me that she felt like he was accusing her of lying to him! She was insistent, though, and he finally saw a spot that he said was an infected blackhead. So he shoves his fingers in there and squeezes the spot, getting gross stuff all over (sorry for the image there), including on her
She said it hurt worse AFTER she saw him! He gave her a Rx for oral antibiotics and told her to take them "if it still hurts."

Well, she filled them and started taking them, but now her ear is killing her again, and she has a giant lump under her skin in her neck on that side, which is also killing her.

Whatever he did spread the infection, and the whole side of her face/neck is swollen and inflamed. Now she needs those drops again (she saw her regular doctor), but for 2 weeks instead of one.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every doctor I've ever been to was rude, pompous and incompetent as can be. I'll bet if someone started a "Good Doctor" thread there wouldn't be very many entries.

After 12 years of avoiding doctors like the plague I was having a problem with swelling around my eyes and blurred vision. I went to an urgent care clinic. One of the assistants called me a hypochondriac. Hello, I haven't been to a doctor for 12 years! The doctor told me I should call an ambulance and go to the ER for an MRI. He said if I didn't do this then don't blame him if I wake up with a stroke tomorrow.

I had to figure it out on my own. It was some kind of an eye infection. With no access to antibiotics, I cleared it up with vitamin C and lysine.