Bad breath and other issues

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snuggy's mom

Maybe it's a black cat thing!

BTW, Smudge is gorgeous! What breed is he/she?
i think it was a combo of mistreatment, & no front claws. he had been a stray for a while when they found him [even declawed!]. i think his snappish tendency & occasional litterbox departure led to his previous owners dumping him [AFTER declawing him, too!
].

Smudge [my Java's Valentine] is a Ragdoll.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

After the surgery, how long should I keep her confined? She's a jumper and I don't want her to hurt herself.

I have a large dog crate I could use. I could take the plastic bottom out and just put in lots of towels to keep her comfy and warm. I'm planning on putting it in my bedroom so I can keep a close eye on her.

I have a low-side litter box I can put in for her.

Anything else I should do?

How long are they on pain meds (typically)?
Kitty had his dental done yesterday with extractions.
As my home is a flat and very quiet I let him out of the carrier once we got in. He hates to be confined so I guess it depends on the cat.

He spent most of the evening just laying on the rug and ate a little chicken but he didn`t sleep till really late ( 11;30 )

I put his food and water in the lounge and his litter tray was close by anyway.

So I slept in the lounge with him as he was comfy and warm there and he didn`t move till the morning.

I think you have to be guided by her reactions.

Kitty had 2 shots. One of a 24hour painkiller and anti-biotics and he has a weeks course of anti-biotic tablets to take.
Not sure if that helps as we are in different countries and things may be done differently there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i think it was a combo of mistreatment, & no front claws. he had been a stray for a while when they found him
Bella's story is exactly the same! No front claws and she was picked up as a stray. She has really warmed up to me lately. She just wants to be with me 24/7. I love it. I've earned her trust.

Originally Posted by laureen227

Smudge [my Java's Valentine] is a Ragdoll.
Note to self: must have a Ragdoll one day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Kitty had his dental done yesterday with extractions.
Kitty had 2 shots. One of a 24hour painkiller and anti-biotics and he has a weeks course of anti-biotic tablets to take.
Not sure if that helps as we are in different countries and things may be done differently there.
Thanks, Jaffacake. That does help. I hope my vet will give me injectible meds. I'm horrible at getting pills or liquids down them. I learned how to do injections with my rabbits and actually feel much more comfortable going that route. It's less stressful on the animal, IMO.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks, Jaffacake. That does help. I hope my vet will give me injectible meds. I'm horrible at getting pills or liquids down them. I learned how to do injections with my rabbits and actually feel much more comfortable going that route. It's less stressful on the animal, IMO.

Glad to help!
The meds we have are palatable and as Kitty is a little piggy he eats them like treats which is very handy!

When he hears me getting one out of the foil he`s there like a shot!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my fosters has just had 11 teeth out, and is demanding to go out and insisting on playing!! I have deliberately left the room to make him go to sleep and calm down.