Backyard fleas.

rayjiano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The weather is cooling off, only 70's during the day and 40s-50s at night. My question is, if there are no neighborly animals and no other mamals have been observed in our backyard. Additionally, our yard is kept trimmed and treated for insects monthly. What are the chances of him contracting fleas if he is allowed to roam only our backyard?

He loves to play fetch, so I think it would be fun to play it outside and let him explore the world in our backyard, but do not wish to do so if the liklihood of him contracting fleas is extreme.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a chance since it's still warm enough for them to be active. All you need is an animal to have passed through, and chances are someone has a cat they let outside to roam the neighborhood.

The solution is just to use a method of flea control. A monthly flea treatment or food grade diatomaceous earth dusting would work.

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fleas actually tend to like the cooler temperatures. They usually get worse in the fall before they get better in my experience. If you do have a stray go through your yard it could be possible. Try using a monthly treatment if you let him roam to help prevent him from getting them.

I hope he has fun!

licorice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor cat came down with fleas last year and he almost never goes outside! Figured someone must have brought them in on their shoes or cloths. Took forever to kill the little pests, and my cat was itching like crazy for awhile.