Back Spasms?

Megan S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one year old tordie has been twitching and doing weird things. This is my first cat, but I've been told it's normal for cats to twitch a little. But what is worrying me the most is that she seems to be having what looks like spasms in her back. An area about 2 inches long will rapidly move up and down several times. I've tried to get it on video, but no luck. I notice it happens a lot one day and then doesn't happen at all other days. It seems weird to me. I'm a nurse so I can't help but worry about something neurological. Has anybody had anything like this happen? And is it really normal for cats to twitch? I don't want to pay a vet bill just to have her say "Yeah cats do that..."

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Check this out.
Hyperesthesia Syndrome

You need to see a vet that can help you figure this out and treatment. It could be something else. Maybe keep a journal so on vet visits you have a list of things to ask.

Even keeping a list of behaviors in your phone so you can go over your concerns. Of course a video would be great. I totally forget that every vet visit. :)

Let us know how things go.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Check this out.
Hyperesthesia Syndrome

You need to see a vet that can help you figure this out and treatment. It could be something else. Maybe keep a journal so on vet visits you have a list of things to ask.

Even keeping a list of behaviors in your phone so you can go over your concerns. Of course a video would be great. I totally forget that every vet visit. :)

Let us know how things go.
Yep! I was thinking the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megan S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very interesting article. She does not have all of the symptoms, but it described a rolling or rippling of the back that is exactly what I've noticed. Just a moment ago she was batting at one of my plants so I scolded her and immediately her back started spasming! The article mentioned stress as a factor so it's a real possibility. I'm very grateful the article ended talking about the syndrome being benign. I think I am going to make her an appointment with the vet just to be safe.