Back In 2009...

Pinta77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_1008.JPG

This is a very old picture... possibly from 1999 or very early 2000's.

When I was very young, some close family friends moved to an apartment that didn't allow pets. They had Sammy since he was a kitten for 10 years. They refused to take him to the shelter because they loved him too much.

We took Sammy into our home when he was already 10 years old. I think my mom thought he didn't have much more life left in him, but she was very wrong.

I grew to love this cat. As he got older, he got messier. He shed hair a lot, and he unfortunately had seizures sometimes, which caused him to drool. My mom thought he was old and gross, and I felt so bad for him, I spent more and more time with him because no one else would. And I ended up bonding with him. I think I always end up loving the pet that no one else wants :p

So despite some health problems that likely came with age, that damn cat lived to be 23 years old! (I'm only 22 today!) He is the first pet I ever felt a strong connection with, and losing him was devastating.

I never expressed this to anyone, because at the time I was a freshman in high school and it wasn't cool to cry. I thought I would share this in memory of Sammy. Thanks to anyone who stopped by to read :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello and welcome! :wave3:

Wow. Sammy's story packs a punch.He sure was handsome.

23? I am just speechless. What a wonderful life he lived. He knew so much love and friendship. Oh I wish every cat could be so loved. You earned a very, very special place in this beautiful boy's life and you will hold that place until you are reunited at the bridge. Anyone who takes in a senior cat and loves them as much as you clearly love Sammy earns a special place in the heart of the Cat Goddess. She knows who really loves her babies (they are ALL her babies) and She never forgets who loves them and cares for them despite their age.

Oh, sweetie - please let us help you heal from this. Sammy knows how much you love him and he will always love you just as much. He made it to the bridge in record time and is being cared for very lovingly. When the time is right, you will be reunited and your friendship will pick up like nothing ever happened. He will never stop loving you.

Please let us help you through this difficult time. Most of us have been through what you are dealing with. We really do understand. :hugs:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful friend! That he lived to be 23 is a testament to your own wonderful care and your love given to that sweet boy. I cringe when I remember far back and how I acted when I was young, I think we learn empathy and compassion as we age and gain experience.
Sammy knew you loved him, the bond you formed with him can never be taken from you, use it to bring comfort and joy when thinking of him. He was in your life for a reason. He taught you the love of cats, you gave him love in return and a wonderful home.
Your mom was from a different generation. A pet was just that, nothing more. I think they went through so many hard times, that it was enough to worry about humans. That she allowed him to come into her home is wonderful though, I'm sure she felt more for him than she lets on. My parents were much the same, my grandparents even more distant. As they aged though, things did change. I know my dad loved his dog, when that dog died he cried like I have never seen him cry, he was so tender when he buried her and placed a marker on her grave.
It shows that you have grown up, that things are changing in your world. That you remember and honor that little boy now, years later, shows that he meant a lot to you and you want to do something to show him you what you truly feel about him and the loss. He knows this, his new path will always parallel yours. The love you feel for him is spiritual, so eternal, it is something that will never leave you, he will always be close by.
You are so young, death is so far away for you. Most people your age have a believe that they are invincible, and in a way they are, youth is very strong. But as you age you realize that it comes for everyone, and you want to leave your mark in the world and live and love as much as you can. You learn empathy, that everything alive can feel pain and wants to be loved.
Thank you for letting us know of this wonderful boy, I will pray for you both. He deserves to be recognized, and you need to know you are with friends who share your pain at the loss of such a wonderful little one. I wish you all the best in the future, please feel free to post on what you learned from so many years with Sammy, you obviously gained much experience on loving and caring for a cat. Take care........RIP beautiful Sammy, you will always be missed, and have a place forevermore in a loving heart. May God bless and keep you until you meet again. Goodnight, sleep tight, litlte Prince!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pinta77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both :)

I remember every Halloween my mom would bring him inside because she was afraid someone would do something to hurt him. My mom loves all animals, I'm sure she loved him too. She just really loves dogs ._. For whatever reason lol

Last edited:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
What a handsome boy, thank you for sharing his story and thank you for taking him in and taking such good care of him that he lived to be 23!!!! His memory obviously made a great impact on you for you to talk about it now, but it is never too late, they are ALWAYS with us in our hearts and memories.....

God Bless.....:rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sammy was, and is, a handsome, lovely cat. I am so happy that he found you, and lived out his life with the love he deserved. What a beautiful tribute to him!

Rest you gentle, Sammy, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart always.