Back from Vet and my Cat is Suddenly at the Litter every 7 minutes

Greta_Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got back from a stressful vet appointment and my 17 year old boy is now going to the litter box every 7 minutes. I'm worried he has a partial urinary blockage caused by the stress of the vet visit. If we go to the emerg clinic it may be a death sentence for him as they would need to put him under for general anaesthtic and the catheter. My question is...is there a chance his partial blockage (a little bit of urine is coming out) may clear up on its own? Or is the blockage guaranteed to get worse? I'm terrified right now, please advise.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he go for vaccines? It could be he keeps going because he's stressed ot a blockage which is an emergency. It will not fix on it's own.. I would call the vet back.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Greta_Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did he go for vaccines? It could be he keeps going because he's stressed ot a blockage which is an emergency. It will not fix on it's own.. I would call the vet back
He did not go for vaccines. I already know it's stress related. I called the vet and they said to wait and see.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he straining to pee,calling out in pain, or not going much? If your litter boxes are covered,take the tops off

Greta_Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We went for a completely unrelated reason - a tumour in his leg. She was very unhelpful in follow up call when I said he was suddenly at the litter constantly. In fact, she didn't get on the phone with me. She just had her assistant tell me to wait and see, and if it gets worse to go to an emergency clinic.

He is not calling out in pain. He is just trying and trying. And he is peeing a little bit outside the litter too now. This is all 100% immediately following the visit as soon as we got home. At this very moment he is trying to sleep. He did drink a little bit too and tried to eat something. He doesn't "seem" stressed but he just keeps trying.

I gave him some d-mannose.

We are all so worried. I feel like the moment we take him in to the vet, that's it (if they put him under). He's so old and he has heart issues, renal issues, etc.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If it continues, maybe take him to another vet? Maggie has seen 3! First one would not do a urinalysis. Second one did. And she had crystals. Last visit, only the helper would ask me questions and go in and out the door. I was there an hour. Never saw the vet. He did do another urinalysis and she is clear so far. 3rd one I have only had one visit. He was very pleasant to talk to and they have more than one vet. So far I pick him

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I completely understand your hesitation to go to the ER and have an unfamiliar doctor begin emergency procedures which will involve anesthesia. Can you find another vet.....and I realize that may be hard as well if they are all booked and backlogged? You have an old boy with a tumor in his leg and a vet who is dismissive about even talking to you in person. That is pretty upsetting.

Is your cat able to take Prazosin which is a muscle relaxant type of med used for bladder issues like this? I don't know if it is contraindicated due to other conditions that your cat has.

Greta_Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I completely understand your hesitation to go to the ER and have an unfamiliar doctor begin emergency procedures which will involve anesthesia. Can you find another vet.....and I realize that may be hard as well if they are all booked and backlogged? You have an old boy with a tumor in his leg and a vet who is dismissive about even talking to you in person. That is pretty upsetting.

Is your cat able to take Prazosin which is a muscle relaxant type of med used for bladder issues like this? I don't know if it is contraindicated due to other conditions that your cat has.
Yes, I'm definitely finding another vet. It's so strange because she is highly recommended and no longer accepting patients because of her demand. But I wonder if this has made her arrogant? Or maybe she only likes certain people, or prefers dogs over cats? It shouldn't be like that. She should *care* and she doesn't.

The good news is that after about 5 hours of constantly trying to pee he seemed to settle down and needed to pee only every hour. Then every 2 hours. And then he slept through most of the night. More pee is coming out now but it's still not the huge amounts he used to have before yesterday. I started giving him D-Mannose about 4 hrs into the whole ordeal so maybe that helped? I gave him 1 rounded tsp with water or colloidal silver every hour. Anyway, who knows if that helped him but he's so much better now. I pray he continues to get better.

Thanks for reaching out. I was literally shaking yesterday.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very glad to hear that he is peeing. Keep your eye on him to make sure this has passed. D Mannose, which I frequently use for my pets, is remarkable for preventing bladder infections and may be helping him in the long run. If you suspect a UTI though....I mean just in case a couple things coincidentally hit the poor boy at once, it will not cure them, so he would need an antibiotic. However, I see your point that with an infection or other issue he might not settle down as he is doing.

Definitely do your research on a new vet. If you have nextdoor.com you can ask for recommendations from people in your area. If you have a cat only vet clinic (not just cat friendly but cat only) you might check them out. At least you will know that they like cats. I hope that your boy recovers completely from his experience.

Greta_Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very glad to hear that he is peeing. Keep your eye on him to make sure this has passed. D Mannose, which I frequently use for my pets, is remarkable for preventing bladder infections and may be helping him in the long run. If you suspect a UTI though....I mean just in case a couple things coincidentally hit the poor boy at once, it will not cure them, so he would need an antibiotic. However, I see your point that with an infection or other issue he might not settle down as he is doing.

Definitely do your research on a new vet. If you have nextdoor.com you can ask for recommendations from people in your area. If you have a cat only vet clinic (not just cat friendly but cat only) you might check them out. At least you will know that they like cats. I hope that your boy recovers completely from his experience.
Thank you!